ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Commercial Color Correction Plug-ins?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Messer
Commercial Color Correction Plug-ins?
on Oct 13, 2010 at 2:56:03 am

I'm shooting in a studio lit by 500 watt halogen bulbs. Because of this, naturally my foreground subject has a yellowish tone that you wouldn't normally get if I were lighting it with standard studio lighting.

I need a 2-in-1 plug-in:

A commercial plug-in or filter that will not only auto correct the levels but compensate for the yellowish hue?

Anything like this available?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Masters
Re: Commercial Color Correction Plug-ins?
on Oct 13, 2010 at 7:17:20 am

Synthetica Aperture Color Finesse. Comes with AE CS5. Can do all this and more, and is intuitive.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 13, 2010 at 1:23:49 pm

You can do this sort of color correction with Color Finesse, as mentioned. You can also do it using many other color correction controls. Here's a great technique using Levels and some math to get it exactly right.

However, all this aside, if you would white balance your camera, you won't have to worry about it in the first place. This sort of thing is why they invented white balance in the first place.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2010 at 2:34:06 pm

[Jason Messer] "I'm shooting in a studio lit by 500 watt halogen bulbs. Because of this, naturally my foreground subject has a yellowish tone that you wouldn't normally get if I were lighting it with standard studio lighting."

I'm surprised you have to resort to color correction. Is it not possible to simply white balance the camera?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason Messer
on Oct 13, 2010 at 4:32:20 pm

Thanks for the quick response guys. This was sort of a preemptive strike thread for when I actually do get the real deal.

I'll be testing this tonight, at which time I will white balance the camera and see the result I get.

However, I was worried that white balancing under the halogen lights would throw the rest of my colors off (IE: compensating for the yellow hue would throw my greens and blues of my clothes, etc off).

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 13, 2010 at 5:28:46 pm

Unless you've got brand-specific colors your wardrobe cannot be "off". The human eye looks for skin tones first. Skin tones must look good and everything else will look fine. However, if there's a yellow cast on the skin, there's going to be a yellow cast on the clothes too. White balancing will make everything be correct.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2010 at 5:41:45 pm

Michael's right about the skin tones. Get the light on the skin right, and you've pretty much won the battle.

Getting thing to look right in mixed color temperature lighting conditions is a common problem when shooting. You might seek a little advice on the COW's lighting forum, where they often deal with such things.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 13, 2010 at 6:49:47 pm

[Jason Messer] "I was worried that white balancing under the halogen lights would throw the rest of my colors off"

Like the other posters said, white balancing is how you ensure your colors appear correctly. If you don't white balance, you may give image a strong color cast. If the color cast is too strong, you will not be able to correct it cleanly.

Here's why: color video is made by combining red, green, and blue color channels (see the RGB histograms in Color Finesse). If you had a yellow cast in your image, your red channel and green channel would be much brighter than your blue channel. To remove the cast, you have to lower red and green levels and raise blue levels. Any missing blue information and any blown-out red or green highlights are unrecoverable, so you'd be limited in how much you could correct the image back to normal tones before noticing artifacts. White balancing the camera first will keep the recorded R, G, and B values for neutral tones very close, giving you a lot more latitude for further adjustment. Good exposure will also help tremendously.

Color Finesse will handle your shot very well. Personally, I like Magic Bullet Colorista II for quick color adjustments within After Effects, and I prefer a dedicated app (first Apple Color, now DaVinci Resolve) for larger projects. All these plugins and apps deliver comparable quality. The differences are workflow, interface, and speed.

Regardless of which system you use, you'll want a capture card and a broadcast monitor for critical color evaluation.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]