ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

confused on formatting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason zaloga
confused on formatting
on Oct 11, 2010 at 11:00:30 pm

i'm using a template that i bought because i wanted to see what other people were doing and there settings. when i render the project and burn to dvd, i'm getting artifacts around the type any clues? here are the settings to what i bought:

main comp
composition settings - hdtv 1920x1080 square pixels
nested into render test 1 and 2.
render test 1
composition settings - ntsc dv widescreen 720x480 PAR 1.21
output module settings - quicktime animation
render test 2
composition settings - HDV/HDTV 1280x720 square pixels
output module settings - quicktime animation

i'm reading creating motion graphics by trish & chris meyer and i read the gotcha section which says:
be aware that if your video format of choice compresses the image too much,synthetic graphics-such as text-can have chewed-up edges. this is common with the dv format. dv also undersamples the color,resulting in banding on color gradients.

no matter what i do the burnt dvd looks very bad when viewing on my hdtv. there is so much info out there my head is spinning, any additional help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: confused on formatting
on Oct 11, 2010 at 11:11:15 pm

[jason zaloga] "no matter what i do the burnt dvd looks very bad when viewing on my hdtv. "

Well, yeah!

DVD's are standard-definition, so watching them in high-definition is going to show a lot of flaws.

You didn't say anything about how you created the mpeg2 file for DVD authoring -- single pass? Multipass? What's the bit rate of that mpeg? If it gets too low -- in the neighborhood of 3 mb/sec -- it's going to look bad no matter what.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Oct 12, 2010 at 2:49:34 am

i didn't touch the settings in toast titanium. it stated if you don't know the settings then you can get good results from default. so here's a question or two. what are some resources for the multi-pass and bitrate. is there a rule of thumb for the footage file based on mbs?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 12, 2010 at 3:30:14 am

export out 10 bit trillions tiff, for mac, have Final Cut export do the rescaling(or AE's instant hd), NOT the dvd encoder, do 8-9 Mbps cbr dvd-9/dvd-r for compatibility with older dvd players.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Oct 12, 2010 at 6:10:51 am

thanks chris but i don't have final cut or red giants instant hd.
where do you get 10 bit. i just see 8,16 and 32? i'm rendering the tiffs now at 16 bits.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 12, 2010 at 12:21:14 pm

[jason zaloga] "i'm using a template that i bought because i wanted to see what other people were doing and there settings. when i render the project and burn to dvd, i'm getting artifacts around the type any clues?"

Where in your workflow do you first notice the artifacts around the type -- in AE? In your render file? On the DVD on your computer? On your DVD on your HDTV set? What do the artifacts look like?

[jason zaloga] "no matter what i do the burnt dvd looks very bad when viewing on my hdtv"

DVDs are standard definition, so they must be upscaled to your HDTV's display resolution. This may not be the whole source of your problem, but it could be part of it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Oct 12, 2010 at 5:00:58 pm

walter

it looks like a whitish line in photoshop if you sharpen something too much. or really bad j-peg photo zoomed at 100%. i don't see anything prior to burning dvd. it's after.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 13, 2010 at 3:13:40 am

[jason zaloga] "it looks like a whitish line in photoshop if you sharpen something too much. or really bad j-peg photo zoomed at 100%. i don't see anything prior to burning dvd. it's after."

I'm trying to narrow down where in your workflow the artifacts first appear, so we can figure out what causes them. Maybe it's Toast's DVD encoder, or maybe it's your DVD player or HDTV's scaler.

If you watch the DVD on your computer (in a window at 100%, not at full-screen), or on a standard-def TV, do you see the artifacts?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Oct 13, 2010 at 5:36:37 am

walter

the so called noise is visible on my computer screen at 100% or actual size,i didn't view it at full screen. it looks fine on my sd tv and looks so bad on my hdtv. i even went through all of the zoom sizes. other than burning sd dvds and blu-ray dvds is there another. the toast says that i may need avchd discs for burning hd content on regular dvds.
maybe thats part of the problem?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]