ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Question about paint tool in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Lagerwall
Question about paint tool in After Effects
on Oct 11, 2010 at 6:23:52 pm

Hi

I am working on quite a large scene with many different layers.
I cant figure out how the paint tool work in AE.

I need to fill some sections of a shadow coming from a character.
The Shadow is created in a different layer.
I cant find a way to paint with all layers visible at the same. I have tried making a pre-compose scene and that works a little better, but I need to see the complete composition to be able to paint the shadow- part correctly. When I click on one of the layers with the paint tool selected, AE enters an individually window presenting the layer, but all other layers and parts in the composition doesnt want to show up. Why not just make is at it is in Photoshop? I dont want the different layers to show up individually. I want the merged in the viewport...

I also need the possibility to choice what layer that should be affected by the paint tool. I would be really great if AE could work the same way as Photoshop works...

Please anyone, this really , really bothers me...:/

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Question about paint tool in After Effects
on Oct 11, 2010 at 7:17:06 pm

[Leo Lagerwall] "I dont want the different layers to show up individually. I want the merged in the viewport... I also need the possibility to choice what layer that should be affected by the paint tool. I would be really great if AE could work the same way as Photoshop works..."

How about dragging the composition window next to the layer (paint) window so you can see both at the same time?

[Leo Lagerwall] "tI would be really great if AE could work the same way as Photoshop works..."

AE's paint IS really different than Photoshop's, because it's an effect. You could use Photoshop instead, if you prefer.

Like the AE manual says:
For some painting, drawing, cloning, and retouching tasks, you may want to take advantage of the sophisticated paint tools provided by Adobe Photoshop. See Working with Photoshop and After Effects.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]