ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AfterEffects CS4 - Rendered .mov file WAY too big

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew GordenAfterEffects CS4 - Rendered .mov file WAY too big
by on Oct 11, 2010 at 4:24:13 pm

Ok people...i just created a 40sec clip in AfterEffects CS4 which when rendered turns out as a 4gig file....WAYYYY too large.

The project consists of a quick 40sec mp4 file with an added logo which ONLY moves (position, rotation, & anchor point) effects or plug-ins of any sort.

What am i doing wrong? The final product is being displayed on a 42in HDTV screen. We need the best quality available...but at the same time need a file that wont make our controllers blow up!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: AfterEffects CS4 - Rendered .mov file WAY too big
by on Oct 11, 2010 at 4:44:58 pm

the default output module for ae will render a quicktime with lossless animation as the codec. this codec is an intermediate codec, designed to maintain the highest quality when going between various stages of production and is not intended to be for final playout.

what you should do is take that huge .mov to a compression utility to create the file that you need to final playout. adobe's media encoder, apple's compressor, quicktime pro, or any number of other compression apps that can do multipass encoding will do a good job of compressing that file down and maintaining a fairly good level of compression.

a free app that i use often is mpeg streamclip. drag the .mov in, then choose export mpeg-4. enable multipass and b-frames and set auido as needed. if you have a target bitrate that you need to meet, you can enter that, then just click 'make mp4'.

you might also inquire on the compression techniques forum for more information and other suggestions.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Terry MikkelsenRe: AfterEffects CS4 - Rendered .mov file WAY too big
by on Oct 11, 2010 at 4:49:19 pm

You state WHAT is will be displayed on (a 42in HDTV), but you don't say HOW.
Will it be CD-ROM, DVD, BluRay, QuickTime, PowerPoint, etc...

Tech-T Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved