ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Layer turns black when parented to 3D position

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie MullinsLayer turns black when parented to 3D position
by on Oct 9, 2010 at 11:03:58 pm

I am trying to animate a fairy flying around leaving a trail of pixie dust. I first animated the pixie dust path using Particular and a light/emitter and 3d camera. The trail flies through Z-space.

Then I brought in the pixie illustration (.ai file, no bg) and parented the position to the Particle emitter's position. When the fairy layer does not have 3d turned on, it follows the position normally (although does not line up exactly with the particle path), but when the 3D is turned ON on the fairy layer, the fairy turns all black. I want the fairy to be "3D" so it will look correct when flying through Z space with the particles.
Also the particles cut through the fairy when the 3D is turned on.

Here are screen caps to show what I'm talking about:

I'm totally clueless as to why this is happening. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Layer turns black when parented to 3D position
by on Oct 10, 2010 at 2:51:33 pm

Hard to tell since you've precomped several layers but I suspect that Tinker Bell is responding to a light in one comp or another.

Just open the material options of the Tinker Bell layer and set "accecpts lights" to off. Make sure you collapse transformations where this comp is nested.

Return to posts index

Julie MullinsRe: Layer turns black when parented to 3D position
by on Oct 11, 2010 at 4:05:53 pm

Ahhh I forgot to put a light in front, it was just being illuminated from behind the layer. Duh!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved