ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fear and loath outside CS world

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fekete
Fear and loath outside CS world
on Oct 8, 2010 at 12:09:40 am

hi
My problem started when I eceived my old-new laptop, a Dell XPS M1330. I use the same version of CS5 which ran smooth on my other laptop. It was on win7 too. On this m1330 non of them starts except photoshop x86. AfterEffects gives an error 193( damaged installation, unsupported system error or simply unable to start). I tried a different version, it did the same. The configuration is almost the same as the other was: 2.2 c2d, 3GB ram, 8400m gs nvidia. What could be the problem? Please help!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Fear and loath outside CS world
on Oct 8, 2010 at 12:24:19 am

Are you trying to use the software on a 32-bit operating system? After Effects CS5 is a 64-bit application and requires a 64-bit operating system.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

David Fekete
on Oct 8, 2010 at 12:36:13 am

Of course not, thatswhy its weird. Its a x64 Win7 system...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 8, 2010 at 2:43:06 pm

[David Fekete] "The configuration is almost the same as the other was: 2.2 c2d, 3GB ram, 8400m gs nvidia. What could be the problem? "

The biggest hurdle: you're woefully short on RAM. Yeah, I know things ran fine before, but in AE 10's 64-bit world, three gigs is NOTHING, especially when the OS occupies a third of that.

AE 10 also handles the RAM available to it differently: you set the amount of memory and number of processors to be reserved for OS and other applications... and then AE uses everything else. On your machine, there ain't much to use!

Case in point: I'm ordering a new machine to run AE 10. It'll have 24GB RAM installed, and I wish I could have afforded more... like 48GB.

So trick that laptop of yours out with memory, and please understand that for serious AE work, you really want to have a desktop machine. No kidding.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]