ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Expression question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robyn RhodesExpression question
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:28:15 pm

I need to control the opacity of the stroke parameter within a shape layer. The shape layer contains 36 stroked shapes, and I have 5 of these shape layers, it's a lot of expressions to set up.

I set up a null with an expression slider to which I can link the parameter. I realize that the ideal way to do this would would have been to set one up and then duplicate it. Had I the forsight, oh if only! So is there a way to link the opacity parameter of all these shapes at once?

My guess is no, but though it worth a shot here.

Thanks,

Robyn

I'm only half the thing I say I am, the other half are me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Expression question
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:54:43 pm

[Robyn Rhodes] "I realize that the ideal way to do this would would have been to set one up and then duplicate it."

if I properly understand what you're doing, you would have been faced with altering the shapes, which could be a very daunting task. I think it would be much tougher and time-consuming than just doing a simple pick-whip expression to that null's opacity property.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robyn RhodesRe: Expression question
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 6:02:19 pm

Thank you Dave,

I'm doing just that now. Pick whipping. I was trying to avoid doing it 216 times. They are all circles. The AD's want to see want to see what they would look unstroked. I should have anticipated this. Live and learn.

Anyone else have any suggestions how to link this parameter en masse?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Expression question
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:59:13 pm

There's a "copy expression only" option. Do that, then paste it onto all of your layers.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Expression question
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 6:02:18 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "There's a "copy expression only" option. "

Oooh, now THAT'S a time-saver! I didn't even know it existed. Thanks from the two of us, Michael!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Expression question
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 6:07:42 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "There's a "copy expression only" option. Do that, then paste it onto all of your layers."

Great tip!

You could also save your expressions and linked parameters as an animation preset for easy reuse later.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Robyn RhodesRe: Expression question
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 6:22:10 pm

Thanks so much Michael, really!

Just to flesh out my particular situation for anyone else who may try to follow along here. I had to twirl down each object in the shape layer, showing Ellipse Path, Stroke 1, Fill 1, Transform. Then I command selected the Stroke 1 parameter(not really a parameter as it only has an eyeball) for each object in the shape layer. Then I was able to paste the expression in. And by the way it's just "paste". There's no "Paste Expression" corollary to "Copy Expression"

Awesome.

r

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]