ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Need assistance! a simple matter with masks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wouter KleneNeed assistance! a simple matter with masks
by on Oct 6, 2010 at 5:30:29 pm

I am new to after effects and I have need to finish something by friday evening. So I am troubled to ask right away without maybe properly looking online.

my issue is this:

I have filmed someone making a stepping and jumping motion. I wish to place some kind of laser in the movie. The problem is that when the person steps over the laser the laser is still visible through the leg. While it should be behind the leg.

how do I solve this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need assistance! a simple matter with masks
by on Oct 6, 2010 at 5:45:49 pm

If your laser is an effect in AE, put it on its own layer, precomp it and animate a mask to conceal the beam where necessary. You'll probably need to animate the mask on a frame-by-frame basis. This is a process known as Rotoscoping.

If the laser is a piece of footage, you don't have to use a precomp, but you will still have to rotoscope it.

On a different note: AE is not the kind of application that lets you use it immediately. You have to know the basics first. Here's a good place to start:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Need assistance! a simple matter with masks
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 1:41:28 pm

The link Dave gave you is an excellent one. I highly recommend it.
Here are some resources on rotoscoping that may prove helpful.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved