ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Massive Lag Problems with Vector Paint in CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Burford
Massive Lag Problems with Vector Paint in CS4
on Oct 6, 2010 at 12:09:32 pm

Hi Everyone,
after looking through old posts here, and trying out a couple of possible fixes, I was still unable to solve the problem, hence the post here.

We are having massive problems with a couple of things iin After Effects CS4, where one of which is extreme lagging when using the Vector Paint Tool, a few seconds delay between making the stroke, and the stroke being made or appearing.

Also, oddly when entering Text there is also a couple seconds of delay.

I feel this is an OpenGL Matter, but did not matter if OpenGL was turned on or off, or which mode of intactive or not.

The Systems are Dual Quad Core 2,26 Ghz, with 8 GB of RAM and running Windows XP 64 Bit, using a Quadro FX 4600 Graphic Card.

Any ideas what could be causing this, and or also, where a list of Tested Graphics Drivers for the Card in conjunction with Adobe After Effects CS4 would be?

Cheers,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Massive Lag Problems with Vector Paint in CS4
on Oct 6, 2010 at 3:11:36 pm

In pre-AE 10 (aka CS5) versions, the type of video footage used would give AE fits, such as massive slowdowns like you're experiencing. Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 6, 2010 at 5:17:03 pm

First of all, note that 64-bit Windows XP is not a supported operating system for After Effects CS4.

That said, have you installed the After Effects CS4 (9.0.3) update? That update fixes a lot of performance problems.

I'm guessing that you have a Wacom tablet installed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jeff Burford
on Oct 6, 2010 at 7:08:46 pm

Thanks for the replies,

Will address in order of the replies..

There is no footage loaded, this happens even on a solid background at PAL resolution.

And, yes, I was aware that XP64 Bit is not a supported OS, and passed this on (day job) time and again, and the systems were not to be built using XP64 Bit, but while I was on 4 weeks vacation in the states, the other colleages took it upon themselves to role out new builds using it and practically stopped the production now in doing so.

Will check if the latest update has been applied when I get back in the office tomorrow morning and reply back. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeff Burford
on Oct 6, 2010 at 7:58:38 pm

Ahh, forgot to answer, yes, the Wacom Tablet is installed. The problems still happen in just using the mouse though. Are there issues like this after the Wacom Tablet is installed?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 6, 2010 at 9:13:20 pm

The issue is not about the Wacom tablet being _used_; it's about the driver being installed.

I'm 90% sure that you need to update your Wacom driver and apply the After Effects CS4 (9.0.3) update. The conflict that this update fixes is a very common cause of the behavior that you describe.

And you should scold your workmates for migrating to an unsupported operating system.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Jeff Burford
on Oct 7, 2010 at 2:51:03 pm

Again, thanks for the help. The problem was still there after the update, but after de-installing the Wacom Intuos 4, and installing a Wacom Intuos 3, the handling was somewhat better, but no where like one would expect.

At least, however, they can work a bit better at the moment, while we continue to chase this down.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2010 at 3:21:50 pm

[Jeff Burford] "...we continue to chase this down."

Here's a suggestion: buy one seat of the correct operating system. Install it. See what happens.

It's the most obvious incongruency in your systems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]