ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is there any way to grade raw on a framebyframe basis?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Ghast
Is there any way to grade raw on a framebyframe basis?
on Oct 6, 2010 at 4:05:39 am

I've shot some timelapse that goes day into night, and the only way to have it expose properly was to use the camera's auto settings which introduced some sporadic changes in exposure, basically just a few odd frames here and there. I've tried using colorista to correct it but it doesnt seem to have the same latitude as the camera raw program in after effects, but the raw program is limited to correcting an entire sequence and it can only show the first frame so i cant get to the frames that need correcting, or compare them to the correct ones if i just imported the incorrect frames and laid them down on the timeline. So is there any way to do this in after effects, or any plugins or programs that can do this?

Return to posts index

Anthony Dupsta
Re: Is there any way to grade raw on a framebyframe basis?
on Oct 6, 2010 at 10:09:31 pm

so you shot an auto exposure timelapse from day to night.

I will get to that in a sec. A suggestion, for the future, you can think of shooting manual ex in the day and let it fade to black as the sun sets. Than shoot a second night time manual exposure. now you have two sequences. Do a 3 sec dissolve between the two sequences.

Also when shooting in auto, only because you have too. Make sure you set your metering to evaluate so it is doing a large reading and not weighted or biasd. This way you will not get the popping as much as you have experienced.

No when it comes to grading. you are color correcting most likely the luminance values to get the sequence to play back seamless. You simply can do this with a levels or exposure node. Now the whole raw thing. Raw holds a ton of latitude before you than compress it out to jpeg format. In your case you do not need the raw images, and when shooting timelapse shooting just 2k jpegs will allow you to shoot faster as the camera does not need to buffer massive raw images that than get resampled to 1920x1080 or whatever your specs are for playback.
So convert your raw image seq to jpg. Batch process you 18 mega pixel images to 2k or HD, Import it in AE. do your color correction in AE. Bi pass your raw step as that is intended for folks who are doing heavy color correction and large exposure shifts.
I shoot raw for portraits and landscape. For a timelapse I shoot 2k, jpg, and remember to get motion blur even if you have to stack NDs on the lens. I shoot my timlapse in the middle of the day at 1/5th shutter speeds.
You can also try frame blending the sequence to blend out the pops.
Good Luck!

Return to posts index

David Ghast
on Oct 6, 2010 at 11:35:21 pm

Taking two exposures over the course of a night would work except for the fact that i dont have a timemachine.

Return to posts index

Anthony Dupsta
on Oct 7, 2010 at 12:05:43 am

one in the day one in the night. So around 8pm stop the timelapse. Set it up for night. start it at 805pm.
The good news is no time machine or overly difficult process is required. However if you are interested in a time machine

good luck friend!

Return to posts index

David Ghast
on Oct 7, 2010 at 9:03:27 am

If i had a means to record the entire sunset at one fstop i wouldnt be on here asking how to fix the auto flicker. I'd do bracketing but my subject matter is too fast. Oh well, at least you bother to respond, unlike everyone else.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:39:33 pm

"it can only show the first frame so i cant get to the frames that need correcting"

Are you importing as a sequence? You can import individual stills.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

David Ghast
on Oct 9, 2010 at 3:46:14 am

That woulnt help as i cant adjust it in the program window. Its like a separate program or something.

Return to posts index

David Ghast
on Oct 12, 2010 at 1:46:16 am

ah ok, thanks for nothing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]