ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Roundtrip Photoshop to AE to QT to Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ MaehlRoundtrip Photoshop to AE to QT to Photoshop
by on Oct 4, 2010 at 1:19:26 am

(Note: I have also posted this in Photoshop forum...they relate to each other.)

I am trying to match my After Effects Quicktime (uncompressed) renders with my original Photoshop artwork (used to create the AE artwork). If I paste a frame of the Quicktime image over my original image in Photoshop, the image comes in too dark.

I am working between AE, Photoshop, and Illustrator. All CS5, and all using color management.
I have used Bridge to set all the applications to have the same color profile settings:
'North America General Purpose 2'

This means that I am using sRGB 2.1as the working profile.

To arrive at the problem do this:
Import a test document into AE and render out a Quicktime movie as uncompressed.
Open the same test document in Photoshop
Open the Quicktime movie, copy a frame.
Paste the frame into a new layer of the Photoshop document.
The result is a darker frame from the Quicktime file.

If I choose to say 'new' in Photoshop and then paste the copied file from Quicktime, then the two images match.
Researching this a little further, I found that if with the menu item 'File:Color Settings' you check the box 'Ask When Pasting' (under 'Profile Mismatches'), a dialog box will pop up when you do the paste.
At that point I see that the Quicktime frames color profile is 'Generic RGB' and that I have a choice to convert or not. The conversion is what is needed. I guess that if the box is not checked, then the file is left as is.

I thought that After Effects would have rendered the Quicktime with the sRGB profile (since it is using color management), but that does not seem to be the case. (if I render as a tiff sequence it works fine).

So….can anyone shed any light on all this?

Turns out that this works fine in CS4 for some reason.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved