ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is there an "IGNORE ADJUSTMENT LAYER" effect/function?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Worsell
Is there an "IGNORE ADJUSTMENT LAYER" effect/function?
on Oct 1, 2010 at 3:44:07 am

If I have a gazillion layers and want to make a global change to them, obviously a single adjustment layer over the whole thing is the easiest method. But let's say that the adjustment layer does exactly what I need for all the layers EXCEPT one or two. It is not always practical to move the one or two layers in question above the adjustment layer (so as to avoid the adjustment layer's effects) or wrangle with precomp after precomp. Is there another way to simply select a layer and have it "ignore" any and all adjustment layers above it?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Is there an "IGNORE ADJUSTMENT LAYER" effect/function?
on Oct 1, 2010 at 7:34:05 am

No.

This question (which is somewhat common) demonstrates a lack of understanding of how adjustment layers work, so I'll explain.

Some people say that adjustment layers "apply to all the layers under them". If that were true, your request would make sense.

However, the truth is that an adjustment layer applies to one thing: the composite of the layers beneath it. WHat is rpesented to the adjustment layer to operate on is essentially a single layer---the result of all of the compositing operations done up to that point in the layer stack (wrking up from the bottom).

So, no.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Sean Worsell
on Oct 1, 2010 at 8:50:20 am

Thanks. I see what you're saying...I'll continue to use my workarounds. Cheers.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Oct 1, 2010 at 9:41:19 pm

I, sometimes precomp the layer's i want to exclude, and use that as alpha's inverted matte to the adjustment.

It is not a perfect solution, since you can have transparency and stuff. but sometimes it does the job.

cheers.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Oct 1, 2010 at 4:23:03 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "However, the truth is that an adjustment layer applies to one thing: the composite of the layers beneath it."

Excellent distinction, sir.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:19:33 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "... (wrking up from the bottom)"

I think most folks are not knowledgeable that for 2D layers AE renders from the lowest layer in the timeline stack and works its way upwards.

Having said that, this still shouldn't preclude having a "NoAdjustment Layer" as part of the layer stack. The "NoAdjustment Layer" could still work as the render engine works its way upwards within the stack. What a "NoAdjustment Layer" does is to tell any forthcoming Adjustment Layer to not include layers below it in the composite that the Adjustment Layer is applied to.

It's a lot like applying a dummy effect to a 3D layer to deliberately break its 3D interaction with other 3D layers.

Sense Make?

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:26:58 pm

> Sense Make?

No.

> What a "NoAdjustment Layer" does is to tell any forthcoming Adjustment Layer to not include layers below it in the composite that the Adjustment Layer is applied to.

Adjustment layers aren't "told" anything about layers beneath them. The output of the rendering operation right before the adjustment layer is a single composite. The adjustment layer acts on that composite. There is no (practical) way to disentangle what contribution a given layer made to that composite.

That said, if you want to request a change to how adjustment layers work, please fill out a detailed feature request explaining how you want things to work:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Talking about it here on this forum thread is not at all helpful, since the people who would implement such changes almost certainly won't see this forum thread---but they will certainly see a feature request made through the feature-request form.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]