ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can I make it Go Faster?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared IshamCan I make it Go Faster?
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:28:37 pm

I'm doing simple color correction on a project in After Effects CS4 that is 1080p Apple ProRez 444 using Color Finesse 2.0. It all works great until I go to render, taking 2 sec frame (not bad) except the project is 20+ minutes long. What are some ways I might be able to speed up my render time?

I have been rendering to a drive connected by USB, but not sure if that would speed up the render time.

So the question - Would the render speed increase if I was using Firewire 400/800 or eSata or am I only dealing with processor and ram issues?

FYI, I have Firewire 400 but the client is giving me drives that have USB, Firewire 800 or eSata connections

Jared Isham
Stage Ham
http://www.stgham.com
film. video. web media

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Can I make it Go Faster?
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:40:35 pm

[Jared Isham] "Would the render speed increase if I was using Firewire 400/800 or eSata or am I only dealing with processor and ram issues?"

You got me by the short hairs! You haven't mentioned a thing about your system, ram, processors, OS, AE version or anything.

I suppose we could guess at it...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Can I make it Go Faster?
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:45:00 pm

Dave L. is right that it's impossible for anyone to advise you well with out any info to go on, but I'll mention in general terms that USB is about the worst connection choice for working with any video software, let alone AE. Another common cause of slower than usual renders is insufficient RAM so i hope you don;t come back and tell us you're working with 512Mb.

Return to posts index

Jared IshamRe: Can I make it Go Faster?
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:56:51 pm

I did mention I was using After Effects CS4.

Beyond that - AMD Athalon x64 Duo-Core, 2 GB ram. I usually run off of an internal SATA 2.0 drive or Firewire 400. OS is Win XP Pro.

Jared Isham
Stage Ham
film. video. web media

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Can I make it Go Faster?
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 11:09:58 pm

Sorry, sir, you're kind of hamstrung with that machine. You should at least fill it up with ram -- 4GB total.

Don't attempt to use multiprocessing. Even with 4GB, you're way short on RAM to use it. Don't use Open GL to accelerate rendering, either: it rarely helps, and frequently hurts.

Another thing that will help: installing a second internal drive and moving all your user files to that drive. Don't have System and application files on the same drive with user files.

If you're going to make a regular practice of color correcting 20-minute-long HD files, you'll need a MUCH beefier machine than the one you currently have.

Case in point: I'm getting a new Windows machine for home AE work, probably a basic-model HP workstation with Win 7 Pro, a 500 GB internal drive for system and application files, a 1 TB internal drive for user files and 24 GB RAM. See what I mean?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jared IshamRe: Can I make it Go Faster?
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 11:34:15 pm

I figured as much. Ideally, if I could afford it, I would go that extreme a take use of the mercury engine.

For now, slow turn around, I guess that is why I dont charge $350/hr for color correction.

Jared Isham
Stage Ham
film. video. web media

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Can I make it Go Faster?
by on Oct 1, 2010 at 7:20:40 am

> ... take use of the mercury engine...

The Mercury playback engine has nothing to do with After Effects. It's a Premiere Pro thing.

If you want to work faster, see this page full of tips:
"Improve performance"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Can I make it Go Faster?
by on Oct 3, 2010 at 10:28:17 pm

Faster processors, tons of RAM. That's what you need. I'd go 8GB plus. I'm at 18GB and happy, with eight-core macs.

All blue-chip stuff, nothing fancy like graphics cards and so on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]