ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Different Macs outputing different colors with RED footage.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Valeria PetitDifferent Macs outputing different colors with RED footage.
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 9:41:25 pm

Hey all,
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, so I couldn't find a problem similar to mine.. so sorry if I'm repeating another post.

So I'm doing this online in After Effects. The Offline was edited on FCP7, using the proxies. I then used Automatic Duck to send the XML to AECS4, relinked to the raw files, and did my FX + color correction from there. The only plug-ins that were used are from Tiffen's DFX suite. I've been using them for years, they're usually very stable.

My facility has a couple of powerful 8-core MacPros and an iMac Quad, which all have exactly the same version of AE and FCP and exactly the same settings. To save time, I usually save my project, and render my bigger projects using 16-bit TIFF sequences. Again, I've been doing this for years, and it usually works well.

Here's the trouble : even though I've updated avery .R3D plug-in I could think of, every computer interprets the footage differently, so my frames sometimes come out yellow-greenish, as if a tungsten preset was somehow applied in AE. I tried with CS5, same problem.

This is a first, and I've been racking my brains trying to find where the problem is. But I'm guessing that someone out there knows what's going on...

Does anybody have a clue what I may have overlooked ?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Different Macs outputing different colors with RED footage.
by on Oct 1, 2010 at 7:08:02 pm

Did you set up CS4 to interpret RED files color space as HDTV (Rec.709).
Are your projects 32 bit?
Are you viewing all final footage on the same computer or comparing the different shots on the computers they are rendered, and if so, are all monitors the same and calibrated?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Valeria PetitRe: Different Macs outputing different colors with RED footage.
by on Oct 12, 2010 at 3:27:18 pm

Thanks for the response,
My project is in 16-bit, and yes, my monitors are all calibrated. I was looking at all of the footage on the same monitor..

I noticed that my "Red settings" menu in CS4 keeps on crashing, so I think that the problem lies there. Thank a lot !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved