ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video Banding

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Video Banding
on Sep 29, 2010 at 4:26:01 pm

Hey guys, I'm working on an animation with moving video. My video is Pro Res (though Quicktime is telling me DVCPro HD) 1080p30 (29.97), 1280 × 1080. My Timeline in AE is set to the Presest for DVCPRO HD 720/29.97. Working in After Effects 7.

My problem is that whenever there is a horizontal pan or motion, there is banding in my video. But I didn't shoot Interlaced, I shot Progressive. Any thoughts?

Many Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Video Banding
on Sep 29, 2010 at 4:38:56 pm

[Jeff Breuer] "My video is Pro Res (though Quicktime is telling me DVCPro HD)"

Let me guess: you shot DVCPro HD, put it in a ProRes timeline, and exported just a couple of clips or something. If so, they're still DVCPro HD. Although working in a ProRes edit timeline is a good idea.

[Jeff Breuer] "My video is... 1080p30 (29.97), 1280 × 1080. My Timeline in AE is set to the Presest for DVCPRO HD 720/29.97. "

Y'know, you could have saved yourself a lot of grief just by shooting 720pn30... much smaller file sizes, plus complete frames. Of course, you might be re-framing shots in AE, so shooting at a higher resolution is a good thing in that case.

[Jeff Breuer] "whenever there is a horizontal pan or motion, there is banding in my video. But I didn't shoot Interlaced, I shot Progressive."

Yeah, well, even though you shot progressive, that progressive frame is still split into two fields at 1080. The fix: go to the interpret footage settings and set the field order to None.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:17:37 pm

Dave, thanks for the feedback.

I shot on a Panny HVX and used FCP Log and Transfer to bring in the footage and used that. No Timelines. I SHOULD have shot 720p30 but the original expectation was that there would be re-framing so I shot large.

Thanks for the info on 1080, didn't know that. I have checked interpret footgae and the Separate Fields is set to OFF. There is no option for setting field order to NONE that I see. Maybe a dated AE 7 Thing?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:21:26 pm

[Jeff Breuer] " have checked interpret footgae and the Separate Fields is set to OFF. There is no option for setting field order to NONE that I see. Maybe a dated AE 7 Thing?"

It's more likely that it's my faulty memory. You did what needed to be done, so you should be good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]