ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

NOT realtime issue with After Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony NguyenNOT realtime issue with After Effect
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 10:24:09 pm

Hello all,

Please help me with my AE. I cannot preview my clips because of the "NOT realtime" issue. Sometimes the fps dropped to 0 or nearly 0.

My computer configurations: Macbook Pro 17" Core i5 2.53Ghz, 4GB Ram, 500GB 5400rpm HDD, nVidia GT 330M.

The movie clip I recorded by Canon 7D, it's 1080p 24p. Each clip is about 2 minutes long.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Regards,
Tony

Return to posts index

Steve BrownRe: NOT realtime issue with After Effect
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 11:13:41 pm

You probably won't be able to preview the whole thing in real time, though you can certainly do so in sections, by setting your work area to the portion you wish to preview and using the RAM preview option (keypad 0)

You also might want to try zooming out to 25% or 50% and setting the veiwer resolution accordingly.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: NOT realtime issue with After Effect
by on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:26:05 pm

Here are two other issues:

For doing AE work, you're really light on memory. Extremely light. There is no way you can use multiprocessing. If it's on, turn it off and leave it off. You need to trick that laptop out with RAM for AE work: AE is the ultimate RAM hog.

Second, if you're running any version other than AE 10 (aka CS5), you may be having footage problems. Your camera shoots in the H.264 codec, which is an okay ACQUISITION codec, but which really stinks for any kind of production use. If you're also running FCP, you need to change that H.264 footage to ProRes 422 using Compressor. You need to do it now. H.264 is an abysmal editing codec for FCP.

So what's the deal with H.264 footage in pre-AE10 versions? Here's the deal:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tony NguyenRe: NOT realtime issue with After Effect
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 9:17:00 pm

Thanks a lot for your kind support!!!

I've tried the methods Steve Brown suggested me but it still didn't work. After reading Dave's explanation, I understood that my computer is not powerful enough to run Ae. Unfortunately I can't afford to upgrade to 8GB RAM at the moment, I am planning to upgrade to 8GB Ram and SSD in the future.

I think I will stick to the Premiere Pro CS5 for the moment, but I really miss the features of Ae :(

Again, thanks so much!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: NOT realtime issue with After Effect
by on Oct 1, 2010 at 3:08:04 pm

[Tony Nguyen] "I think I will stick to the Premiere Pro CS5 for the moment, but I really miss the features of Ae :("

Oh, you can use AE, just don't expect blistering speed. It'll be slow. and DO NOT run any other applications when AE is open.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tony NguyenRe: NOT realtime issue with After Effect
by on Oct 1, 2010 at 6:20:26 pm

Yeah I still can use Ae but it takes so much time to preview the whole clip, even small clip (30 seconds to 1 minute), sometimes the pfs drops to 0 :(
With the Premiere, I can do the preview without problem. Unfortunately PPr does not have as many effects as Ae.
By the way, here is my first movie clip since I bought my 7D and and edited it on Premiere. This clip I made for my brother, he wants to be a singer in the future, really wish he could do that :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]