ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

25fps to 29.97 ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Sabiston25fps to 29.97 ?
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:05:32 pm

Another question -- I need to convert a 25 fps quicktime file to 29.97 for inclusion on my digibeta. How do I do this in After Effects? I found one post which said to Interpret the footage as 29.97 and then stick it in a composition. I tried that, but it said 'audio may not synchronize' -- and it certainly doesn't. It's way off.

It seems like the 'Interpret Footage' command just uses the same frames and plays them at a faster rate, which is totally not what I want. I need it adapted from 25 to 29.97 but of course the overall running time needs to stay the same, and the audio must sync.

The original quicktime has no fields, I guess it is 25p -- it is just animation frames. I didn't mess with the fields or 'guess pulldown' buttons in the Interpret Footage dialog. Anyone know the best way to do this? I think some kind of frame-blending maybe? Something to generate the extra frames that 29.97 requires?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 25fps to 29.97 ?
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:15:34 pm

Got final cut Pro? Use Compressor. Or do it in AE by spending $500 US to get ReelVision FieldsKit or Twixtor... I forget which one of them does frame rate conversion.

Or just get a post house to do it for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bob SabistonRe: 25fps to 29.97 ?
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:18:49 pm

Is it pretty self-evident how to do it with Compressor? I haven't used that for years, back when it never worked on my G5. However I think it will work on my iMacs.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: 25fps to 29.97 ?
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:34:43 pm

Ken Stone has an on-line tutorial for frame rate conversion using Compressor.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 25fps to 29.97 ?
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:38:40 pm

you might also try using the interpret footage settings to interpret the 25p media as 23.976, put it in a 23.976 comp, then render that comp with a pulldown.

if the audio seems like it's getting off at 23.976, disable audio for that layer, duplicate the footage in the project window, set the interpret footage settings for the duplicate back to 25 and add that to the comp with just the audio enabled... or you could separate the audio using another app and import that as a wav.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 25fps to 29.97 ?
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 10:58:01 pm

See this page, which gives step-by-step instructions.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved