ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Scripting/Expression Assistance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony SipsasScripting/Expression Assistance
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 5:54:17 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of Rotoscoping! Im sure everyone here has been here at one time or another, but Im getting a little more depth, and on some higher end projects. I am running into workflow issues, and am attempting to streamline my process.

Does anyone know how to do the following:

1) Create on/off function (like a btn for example)- (user interface/panel)
2)Assign a function to this btn. ( I am doing tons of mask switching, so ideally it would be something like, if i select a mask, and "click" on this btn, it would offset the mask like +2000px on the X, for example).

If there is a better process for this, please advise. Just want to be able to move mask off "stage", then bring it back on to where it was prior really quick without having to manually move it back and forth all the time... wastes too much time.

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Scripting/Expression Assistance
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:19:55 pm

What do you mean, "wastes too much time"?

Just make a mask keyframe on the frame where you want the mask to disappear. Move the mask off screen. Highlight the keyframe and use the Toggle Hold Keyframe command. The mask disappears instantly.

I think I may be up to all of 15 seconds using this process.

Or you can spend a couple of hours waiting to get assistance in using expressions. I know which one I'd choose.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Scripting/Expression Assistance
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 7:05:56 pm

you could also have hold keyframes on the mask opacity, and use that to toggle it on/off without having to change the position/mask shape...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Anthony SipsasRe: Scripting/Expression Assistance
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 10:46:48 pm

I would like to eliminate the step "move the mask off the screen", and replace it with a btn press.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved