ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

output 10-bit uncompressed or Pro-Res?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Sabiston
output 10-bit uncompressed or Pro-Res?
on Sep 28, 2010 at 5:47:35 pm

Hello,

I need to transfer some quicktime files to digibeta for a festival. The transfer place said that 10bit uncompressed quicktimes,(or alternatively, Apple ProRes) would be the best format to deliver to them.

I don't see either of these options in the Quicktime format export options from After Effects. Anyone know how to get those options?

Thanks
Bob

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: output 10-bit uncompressed or Pro-Res?
on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:08:34 pm

If you don't have Final Cut Pro Version 6+ installed on your machine, you don't have access to the ProRes codecs. If you don't have QT Pro 7.6, you don't have Apple 10-Bit Uncompressed, either.

But it just may be that you're running AE 10: in that case, DON'T EXPORT! RENDER USING THE RENDER QUEUE! Quicktime is still a 32-bit application, and when you export from AE 10, that particular function in AE can't utilize all of the cruder Quicktime code.

If you want to preserve as much image quality as possible, ask the production house if you can give 'em an image sequence. You can render image sequences in AE; depending on the length of the video, you may want to use as many digits as AE will do when it appends numbers(000000, 000001, 0000002, etc.) to create the sequence. See which kind they'd like. If you do this, be prepared for an astoundingly-large cumulative file size: they'll be individual files in one folder.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bob Sabiston
on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:16:55 pm

I have FCP 6.0.6, part of Final Cut Pro Studio 2 I think. Also, I'm pretty sure I have quicktime pro -- how could I tell? The Quicktime Player 7 "about" dialog logo has a 'pro' on it. Also it says 'Pro Apps User' in the Registration Box.

The Registration Box did not have any information in it, however. I copied the registration info from another pro-enabled machine, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I have another machine, an older G5, which does have the 10-bit codec, I guess I will just use that. I was trying to use a more recent iMac with Snow Leopard, which seems to be anti-anything-but-h264.

Bob

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:25:19 pm

[Bob Sabiston] "I was trying to use a more recent iMac with Snow Leopard, which seems to be anti-anything-but-h264."

Well, that sucks. I'd get rid of that dog of a machine. Or just enable the Legacy codecs in Quicktime's preferences.
Unless you're using H.264 for anything other than FINAL DELIVERY -- absolutely no more massaging to be done to the video -- that particular codec stinks on ice. Any recompression of H.264 files causes the image quality to drop like a rock.

H.264 is most certainly NOT the miracle worker you seem to think it is.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bob Sabiston
on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:34:18 pm

I have the legacy encoders enabled, but there still is no 10-bit or ProRes.

And I don't know what gave you the idea that I like h264... I personally have had nothing but trouble with its washed-out color infidelity.

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]