ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Live Preview on an External Broadcast Monitor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam taylor
Live Preview on an External Broadcast Monitor
on Sep 28, 2010 at 12:29:41 pm

This has bugged me ages, and i thought it might have improved in CS5 but it appears not.

I have a 3ghz 8 core Macpro, with 14gb of ram, OS 10.6.4, AJA Kona video card with release 8 drivers. Video comes from raid over fibre channel. Using CS5 Production Premium bundle.

I would really like to be able to see any movements that i do to adjust a comp layer appear instantaneously on my broadcast screen. Mine only ever updates once the wacom pen is released.

According to the manual, "Interactions Displays interactive previews—such as scrubbing in the Timeline panel or dragging in the Composition panel—on the computer screen and simultaneously on the external monitor." Mine is set as the manual suggest but it sure as heck does not work!

It didn't work in previous version of AE either.

Am i doing something fundamentally wrong here? does it work for others?
Any suggestions?

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

Adriano Moraes
Re: Live Preview on an External Broadcast Monitor
on Sep 28, 2010 at 12:58:17 pm

Hi there.

Does the changes update instantly on your comp window? (don´t know if you use it since you are outputing it on a external monitor)

I´m just throwing it out there since you say it only updates when you release the pen but is the Live Update switch turned on?

Hope it´s something that simple.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Sep 28, 2010 at 1:02:13 pm

not that simple i'm afraid...Live Preview works fine on the computer screen.

The reason i want to be able to see real time adjustments on the broadcast monitor is because there are safe area markers on my screen to indicate places where overlaid station icons go.

I'd like to be able to position some things by watching the broadcast screen instead of the computer screen. At the moment i can't do that very easily.

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 28, 2010 at 3:02:26 pm

you have two option with the konas, you can use aja's adobe plugins, or you can use ae's video preview.

i, personally use ae's video preview... i've had problems getting aja's plugins to give me realtime playback with hd, though my broadcast monitor is an old sd monitor, and that may be some of the issue.

if you use ae's video preview, you'll want to remove aja's adobe plugins -- if you have them installed, there will be a folder called aja adobe plugins, in that folder is the uninstaller.

in the aja control panel, if you broadcast monitor can only output one flavor (sd, 720, 1080...) then you may need to go into the format options and set the secondary format to the same format as the broadcast monitor. then set the output port that the monitor is connected to, to use the secondary format.

in my case i chose 525i29.97 as the secondary format and then set the analog component to use the secondary format.

the primary format doesn't matter, the controlling application will control that... so in ae, if you are working in 720p60, that will become the primary; if your comp is 1080i, the that becomes the primary, regardless of the format selected in the control panel.

once that is set up, open ae and go to the video preview preference and set ae to use the aja card and set the mode to what ever the comp settings are and you should get realtime playback for previews. note, you will usually need to change that setting if you use a different comp setting to maintain realtime playback.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Sep 28, 2010 at 3:36:09 pm

Thanks Kevin,

no luck i'm afraid!

I dont use the Adobe Aja plug-in because it caused all sorts of weirdness - it was AJA themselves who told me not to use it!

My BM is pal - 625i/25 only, so all my outputs on the AJA control panel are set that way. AEs video Preview is also set the same way.

I have always been able to do realtime playback of previews...but that is not what i want..I want to be able to see the interactions themselves, so if move a text layer, i can watch it moving on the BM in real time, at the moment It will only move on the computer screen, until i let go of the pen or mouse button and only then will the BM refresh.

It maybe that what i want is not possible....but Adobes own help file suggests it should be
- "Interactions - Displays interactive previews—such as scrubbing in the Timeline panel or dragging in the Composition panel—on the computer screen and simultaneously on the external monitor."

thanks for the help though!
adam

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 28, 2010 at 5:06:41 pm

[adam taylor] "Adobes own help file suggests it should be
- "Interactions - Displays interactive previews—such as scrubbing in the Timeline panel or dragging in the Composition panel—on the computer screen and simultaneously on the external monitor.""

i did misunderstand a bit, but it does work that way for me... i get live/realtime interactions for dragging, scrubbing and other effect/settings adjustments on both the computer monitor and the broadcast monitor.

i did try it with a pal comp and pal settings in the aja control panel and video preview settings and it still worked... i have a 2009 macpro (osx 10.5.8, 16gb ram), cs4 and a kona lhe with v7.5.1 drivers, but i would think the newer versions would be the same (or better).

i assume that you have 'interactions' checked in the video preview preference...

i know aja is pretty specific on which slot it should be in... in my mac in had to be in slot2, you might want to check the manual for the recommended slot for your mac.

you might also run the aja conflict checker, but since it sounds like this is a new mac that probably never had different capture card in it, i wouldn't have high hopes for success...

it sounds like you have been in contact with aja before... if it wasn't about this specific issue, you might contact support again, i've always found them to be helpful.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Sep 28, 2010 at 10:41:33 pm

It works for me, all NTSC in SD and 720p comps:

Prefs in AE:
Output device: AJA
Output Mode:AJA Kona 720p 59.94
Output Quality: Faster
Previews, Mirror, Interactions checked.
Aspect Ratio: windescreen
Scale & Letterbox unchecked.

System:
MacPro,
AE CS4,
OS 10.5.8,
2x3GhzQuads,
18GB RAM,
ATI x1900XT in slot 1,
Kona LHe in slot 4, 6.0.2 software

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Sep 29, 2010 at 8:09:34 am

weird...it seems my system should be set up right, but something must be awry.
My kona is also in slot 2. Its always been there...works fine for FCP and other apps.
I use the Conflict checker whenever i upgrade the Kona drivers.

The one thng i have just noticed is that the AJA control panel does not say its being controlled by After Effects - a little red message on the control panel reads "Aja device in use by App(QT32)"...i thought AE would have been mentioned (and isn't it supposed to be 64bit?)

I think you're right - time to contact AJA.

thanks guys
Adam

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Sep 29, 2010 at 9:01:20 am

update - i found the culprit - OpenGL ! thats seems to be the cause of the problem...switch it off and everything works perfectly.

why do they include it when i have never heard anything but bad news about opengl?

adam

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:33:27 pm

Good on ya, mate!
Thanks for letting us know -- we'll remember your solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]