ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating an Invisible Object to Cast Shadows

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun KnappCreating an Invisible Object to Cast Shadows
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 2:15:59 am

Been searching to find something on this, nothing evident in my searches yet, so I'll pose it quickly here.

In After Effects, how can I create an object that will cast a shadow, yet won't render to the camera's view, only it's shadow will render?

Any quick direction someone can point me would be greatly appreciated.

Shaun K.

"It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom; without this it goes to rack and ruin without fail. It is a very grave mistake to think that the engagement of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty." --- Albert Einstien

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Creating an Invisible Object to Cast Shadows
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 2:48:28 am

A 3d layer has under its material options a choice of "cast shadows" turned either on, off, or only. That last one is the one you are looking for.

Return to posts index

Shaun KnappRe: Creating an Invisible Object to Cast Shadows
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 2:52:41 am

So can I create 3D layers that are invisible to the camera that cast shadows?

How do I make them invisible, just simply turn opacity to zero? Will that then essentially disable the shadow from interacting or being made?

I know 3D layers can cast shadows, I'm just wanting to find out how to make objects invisible and still cast shadows. Any thoughts there?

Thanks.

Shaun K.

"It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom; without this it goes to rack and ruin without fail. It is a very grave mistake to think that the engagement of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty." --- Albert Einstien

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Creating an Invisible Object to Cast Shadows
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:48:39 am

You have the answer from Chris.
Turn on the "Only" option for cast shadows- that will turn off the layer and show only the shadow.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Shaun KnappRe: Creating an Invisible Object to Cast Shadows
by on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:01:36 am

Oh, great you guys. Thanks to both of you. Sorry for not understanding Chris's reply.

Shaun K.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]