ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Wiggle Questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake RaynorWiggle Questions
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:18:19 pm

Hey guys this is my first post here so please let me know if I am going about this the right way!

I am starting to animate flyers that I make for shows and have some pretty basic questions.

Here is a picture of the whole flyer.

I have the water in the background of this flyer animating like a kindergarden play with people offstage moving the water back and forth using a wiggle position behavior.

My problem is with the trees. I am using a wiggle rotate on the base of the trunk of the tree. I have it rotating slowly a few degrees to simulate it sort of bobbing in the water. The top of the tree is a separate layer that I have a wiggle... (size or goo?) command moving it around to sort of simulate wind blowing the tree leaves.

My problem is having the treetop follow the trunk while wiggling on its own. It rotates the tree but the tree top does not move with it because its a separate layer. I tried parenting the two layers but that didn't work... I thought maybe there would be some way to group the layers together but don't really see that happening either...

I am making these flyers to get more comfortable with after effects and I apologize for my lack of knowledge but you gotta start somewhere. This amateur animation will look really cool once I make this 3d and have some camera movement.

Please help me in any way you can guys!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Wiggle Questions
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 5:30:53 pm

i would think that parenting the leaves to the trunk would allow for the leaves to wiggle relative to the trunk, so you may want to revisit that... unless i'm missing what you are doing -- which is very possible...

another option would be to precomp the the trunk and leaves. set the leaves's scale to wiggle (it looked like just the scale was wiggling..?)

then in the main comp wiggle the rotation of the whole tree. since the leaves and trunk are now part of the same tree comp, they should all move together.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Blake RaynorRe: Wiggle Questions
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 6:01:51 pm

Thanks for the quick response! I'll try this out as soon as I get off of work!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved