ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

bump map in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc De Costerbump map in AE?
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 7:53:13 am

Hi guys.
I think that what I have to do is quite easy but I can't find my effect back!!! I'd like to make a "bump map" effect and use the luminance of a picture to create some "relief" in a texture. But there is no "bump map" effect in AE. I tried with the displacement map but it's really not what I need! I also put a bevel but it only works with edges or alpha.
Any ideas?
Thanx a lot

Marc

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: bump map in AE?
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:53:17 pm

Displacement map is what you're after. Digieffects Free Form comes now with CS5 and allows for true 3D displacement. You can check out my tutorial about this subject:

http://library.creativecow.net/jelescu_tudor/3D-from-2D-image_AE/1

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: bump map in AE?
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:08:32 pm

What didn't work for you with the Displacement Map?
As Ted mentions, it's not 3d like Freeform.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Marc De CosterRe: bump map in AE?
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:35:25 pm

Hi guys, thank U for the answers but it doesn't help! I had a look to the digieffect plugin.

I didn't use the basic displacement map because I don't need a distortion. I have a velvet texture (full screen) and I want to have an effect that looks like I pushed a little bit an object from behind the velvet, so I could see, thanks to the shadows, "the Cardinal Richelieu" profile! What I have now, is the outline of the profile, thanks to a bevel alpha. It lokks ok but what I need now is the inside of it ...

The digiEffect Free Form would make it but I don't have it. Several years ago, I used to work with Combustion and there was an effect called "Bump map" and it was exactly what I need! Sounds familiar to you?

Return to posts index

Adriano MoraesRe: bump map in AE?
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:56:50 pm

Hi there. Sometimes the plugin Texturize works for me in similar situations if I´m getting what you want.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: bump map in AE?
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:06:15 pm

yep, texturize comes to mind... it's a compound effect, so you could apply it to the velvet layer, then choose the other layer as the texture. it would then create a kind of emboss effect on the velvet layer.

also emboss and color emboss may help... neither are compound effects, so you would add them to the layer that you wanted to make the bump texture from, then use blending modes or other effects to mix it with the velvet layer.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:14:46 pm

yep again! An emboss with an overlay mode will make it! In french we say "it's in the old pans that you prepare the best meals". Well, it seems like it's right! I thought I'd never use that filter again! Today is the day I change my mind! Thank U

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:07:23 pm

Thank U Adriano. It's indeed the kind of effect I was looking for. If I copy my layer, desaturate and contrast it, blur it a little bit, and then use it as a reference for the texture effect it's looks almost like what I had in mind! Well, it's not perfect but I'll deal with it!

Thank U all guys

Return to posts index

Shawn MillerRe: bump map in AE?
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 8:26:03 pm

You might also consider Z-Born Toy... it seems like it would be pretty handy for the effect you're describing.

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuWas this what you're after?
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 8:54:59 am

Here's what you can get with FreeForm:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Marc De CosterRe: Was this what you're after?
by on Sep 28, 2010 at 10:53:47 am

Cool.Thank U for having spent some time on this! It looks ok. But I had to deal with the basics because I didn't have the plugin. So I used the emboss for the inside and I used bevel alpha for the borders. It looks like this:

I think it works quite well. Thank U anyway!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]