ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mr Fantastic / Stretch Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis SpearingMr Fantastic / Stretch Effect
by on Sep 25, 2010 at 10:28:49 am

Hey Guys,

I am making a Fantastic Four Parody with my Friends, and I have some effects looking great. Im just really stuck with a Mr Fantastic effect. Hes the guy that Stretches. I have a green screen and after effects. Any ideas on how I could do this?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Mr Fantastic / Stretch Effect
by on Sep 25, 2010 at 12:57:03 pm

With no 3D to the rescue you'll have to plan everything really well.
Storyboarding will help.
Think the shots within your limitations.
Simple actions- ex:
Mr Fantastic stretches to get a cup of water from living room to kitchen.
Shoot the actor on chroma facing the camera. Ask him to stretch his hand sideways and grab a glass of water that sits within reach on a table- at the last part of the action make sure he simulates a bit of effort and sort of acts in slow motion for the last few inches before he grabs the cup, then he does the same kind of move in reverse.
Shoot the same scene with (to have a reference) and without the Mr Fantastic actor in the living room. Have a still of the kitchen for set extension and simulate a travel from living to kitchen in post. Then comp the actor and use Puppet Tool (or Mesh Warp Distortion) to stretch the hand. Comp the table with the cup over the kitchen still and blend the last part of the stretch with the hand grabbing the cup. Animate the stretch on the "slow motion" move from the end of your actors gesture so that it looks more natural.
Hope it makes sense to you and it gives you more ideas.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Edward CollierRe: Mr Fantastic / Stretch Effect
by on Sep 25, 2010 at 2:58:14 pm

i agree, story boarding is the key to this. break your ideas down into indevidual shots and think how you could achieve them.
for example, (to use the same example as the previous poster) Mr stretch grabs some water.

1) WS: actor reaches his arm out towards a glass that's clearly too far for him to reach.
2) MCU: arm elongating a little, [use green screened arm, neutral BG shot and a bit of the distortion tools]
3) MCU: actors hand closing round glass
4) MCU: actors satisfied face.
5) MCU: arm holding glass comes back accross room [more of a tricky key what with the glass but essentially the same as shot 2 in reverse]
6) actor with normal arm drinks water.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved