ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects to Youtube HD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
caleb barclayAfter Effects to Youtube HD
by on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:33:03 pm

What is the best process to get an AE video rendered for Youtube (Format, compression). I have a 1080p video that I want to upload but I want to keep the file size down so it wont take Youtube a week to Upload. Any help will be appreciated

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: After Effects to Youtube HD
by on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:52:44 pm

Youtube streams 720p, so I'd make output your composition as a 720p. I'd also probably pick medium quality photo jpeg compression for the render out of AE. If the file size is still too big, I'd compress it to H264 with other software (I'd use Apple Compressor) AE doesn't render temporally compressed codecs like H264 very well, so I wouldn't try to render it straight out of AE.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After Effects to Youtube HD
by on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:01:48 pm

you can find youtube's hd specs on their site... i believe they are using 720p (1280x720), not sure about the frame rate, probably 30 or 24 fps.

i think they also recommend .mp4 for the container with h.264 compression. they may also have data rate recommendations.

you won't want ae to handle the compression, so render from ae as lossless or uncompressed at the recommended frame size and frame rate. then compress with a compression utility.

adobe's media encoder should do .mp4... mpeg-stream clip will do .mp4, it's free and multi-platform and pretty simple to use, just drag in your rendered file and file>export mp4... it will also do batch encoding.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: After Effects to Youtube HD
by on Sep 25, 2010 at 4:34:48 am

720p, h.264, 6000kb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved