ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

work flow for matching color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tracey Nole
work flow for matching color
on Sep 24, 2010 at 4:11:31 pm

Hi!
I am editing a video that has video and still images. It was an all day shoot so the color and tones are all over the place, meaning, the photos and the videos both have mid day tones (blue) and then red tones using lights in the night time. I want to bring the footage all within one color realm. Should I adjust the photos that will be used as image sequences, import them into a time line in FCP, and then bring it all into AE for color grading?
Any suggestions for the best work flow?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: work flow for matching color
on Sep 24, 2010 at 5:11:57 pm

How do you intend to go about this: using AE's standard effects, or Color Finesse, which comes bundled with AE, but behaves a little like a separate application?

Have you tried using Apple's Color In Final Cut Suite?

Are you familiar with the extremely-important concepts of Primary and Secondary color correction?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tracey Nole
on Sep 24, 2010 at 5:37:40 pm

Hi! Thanks for getting back to me. I was intending on using AE standard effects. I don't have the gear for color and I know that here on the Cow, you guys get deep, but I am just looking to even out the color tones. Before I have adjusted all the color of the stills on Photoshop, but this will be my first time trying to match hues/tones of pnds to video. So I guess my question is, should I continue to make all the color corrections for the stills in Photoshop, and then when I import them as sequences, use them as the basis for what I want to make the videos look like?
What are your feelings on this?
Thanks!
Tracey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 24, 2010 at 6:12:09 pm

[Tracey Noelle Luz] "I don't have the gear for color "

Whaddya mean, you don't have the gear for Color? You've got Final Cut Suite 2 or 3, right? Then you've got Color.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 24, 2010 at 6:51:53 pm

If you want a method to match color using AE's bog standard effects, check out this tutorial from the ancient days of AE version 5.5 (that would be CS -4.5, since CS5 is actually AE version 10)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 24, 2010 at 6:52:42 pm

Ack, forgot to link it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 25, 2010 at 4:31:49 am

If she has FCP 5, then she doesn't have Apple Color.

I would first decide what I want my color to look like, and edit clips accordingly. If you have several to edit, I would create a preset (ex. Preset 01) that gets my color where it needs to be so I can then apply that "Preset 01" to several clips for consistency. If you apply the preset, and it creates a look that's slightly off your baseline, make adjustments and save that as a new preset (ex. Preset 02). Makes sense?

http://www.youtube.com/graphicsdump
http://www.myr3d.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]