ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Give a submerged look to an object?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy EzekielGive a submerged look to an object?
by on Sep 24, 2010 at 5:03:15 am

Hey guys,

Quick question here:

Let's say I am shooting a lake or a shore from above and I model a 3D sea creature, is there a way to composite it so that it looks like it's swiming right under the water surface?

If somebody could provide me with a (very) general walkthrough, it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

VFX student

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Give a submerged look to an object?
by on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:55:42 am

Create a displacement map from the surface of the lake- take the saturation down and crush the black and white with levels (not too much). Use that to apply a distortion to your 3D creature as it moves under the surface. Duplicate the lake layer and comp the creature in between. Play with transparency on the top layer to see what looks best. You may need to apply some color correction to your 3d creature to bring it closer to the color of the water. Try creating an object with the same color/texture as the creature and shoot that under water in the same day/time as your lake shot for reference. You can use that to tweak your final comp.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jeremy EzekielRe: Give a submerged look to an object?
by on Sep 24, 2010 at 4:34:26 pm

Many thanks Tudor!!

I'll try it out, and thanks for the details on the reference shot, I wouldn't have thought of it.

VFX Student

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved