ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE and 64-bit, really?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik LindahlAE and 64-bit, really?
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 7:32:38 am

Well the 64-bit awesomeness of AE just hit a ceiling here. View the image to understand my situation:

So why is this? 2.9GB per frame sounds like a 32-bit issue rather than 64-bit.. Can this have to do with i/o format of choice?

Yes, the image sizes are high - I'm working with a series of high res stills with animation, given no layer is larger than 2000x2000 pixles I guess it all adds up. My main comp and output is only PAL 16x9 FHA though.

So, what gives with the above?

Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Bug? Image buffers of size... exceed internal limits
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 1:39:19 pm

Erik, I don't think it's necessarily a 64-bit issue. I'm seeing a similar thing here, and 2 GB per frame seems to be the magic size. I have submitted this information as a bug report, and I'd suggest you do as well.

Todd, if you happen to read this, I've tried to be thorough, but if you can think of any other information that would be useful to get to the AE team for the bug report, please let me know and I will re-submit it.

I am unable to create and preview large comps; it seems as though comps up to 2 GB per frame are ok, but above that, I get an error as follows:

After Effects error: image buffers of size 24000x23000 @ 8 bpc (2.1 GB) exceed internal limits. Decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame. (12804). For more information, see

I can replicate this problem on my AE workstation with other large comps, like 17,000 x 16,000 @ 16bpc, or 12,000 x 12,000 @ 32bpc.

My system has 32 GB of RAM. AE is currently running with multiprocessing off, leaving 4 GB for background apps. I'm seeing 28 GB of free RAM in MenuMeters.

I am running OS X 10.5.8 and AE

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: Bug? Image buffers of size... exceed internal limits
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 2:15:28 pm

Aye, it seems so. I can render the given project in 8 bpp but not 32 bpp. I've tried to render with and with out multiprocessing on and both give the same error. Note I'm not using that huge images. 2000 x 2000 pixels are the largest ones BUT I do have a lot of layers and at the point of error I have very high motion and very high level of motion blur so it might be a frame size / sample rate issue / limit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved