ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color Space, Output and banding

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
beth warshafskyColor Space, Output and banding
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 11:36:07 pm

I am doing video painting which includes some intense blurs, and a
3d cube with light effects. I am getting banding. From research on-line I realize I need to switch to 32 bit color (I thought 16 would do the trick, but....) and Apple RGB and Linearize Working Space. Does this sound right? The output will be a high res projection, a screen about 20 feet.

Is this the right color space? I can I make lights not band?
Any advice re: color space is appreciated. Unlike traditional digital
image compositing, this is very little image and very much processing.

I asked about playback and got the response that I should play a ProRes version of my piece off the computer (864 by 486 square pixel). So whatever color space I work in, how will it compress in ProRes? Can I expect to play a 12 minute piece off a MacMini using ProResHQ?
Can I make an 8bit file out of this eventually without creating banding?

Return to posts index

Anthony DupstaRe: Color Space, Output and banding
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 12:11:10 am

I believe that the banding is from the fall off of the AE lights. 16bit would in most cases be sufficient, however I don not believe AE lights give a clean fall off even in float. Is there a way you can create the same effect using a grad or ramp in 16bit? I have abandoned AE light in the past as they generate 8 bit grads, regardless of comps bit setting.
I could be wrong but that is my experience.

First try to ad some global grain to the comp, that could help break up the banding.

I have never tried playing back a 12min pro res QT off a mac mini. But with the right codec, the right compression it will work.

Return to posts index

beth warshafskyRe: Color Space, Output and banding
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 12:20:40 am

ALSO, should I ouput 19 bit YUV, PRORES 444 etc.
I am rendering master clips and tweaking.
My final output will be ProRes or PRoResHQ.

Return to posts index

Anthony DupstaRe: Color Space, Output and banding
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 1:26:24 am

Try 422 first. Than test your playback on the mini. See if you have the through put for real time play back with the spec that have been suggested to you.
Since I have no idea what the quality of this should be, I would just suggest burning a DVD, but sounds like you have a game plan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved