ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Anyway to prevent intersecting of layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael CombsAnyway to prevent intersecting of layers?
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 7:44:50 am

I'm working on a promo for our local theater company and I'm trying to create an effect where the camera flies over this world made of postcards and parks at a spot where postcards fly up and make an Eiffel tower.

Right now, I have the world built, using Planescape, but I'm a little stuck. I varied the rotations on the cards (wildly on the Z axis and no more than 2 or 3 on the x +y) And other than the layers poking through each other, I have the look I want.

Is there anyway of preventing layers to intersect through each other. I know it'll probably look weird to have some layers end abruptly, but no more so than having a postcard with seven corners peeking through.

Help?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Anyway to prevent intersecting of layers?
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 3:22:16 pm

[Michael Combs] "Is there anyway of preventing layers to intersect through each other. I know it'll probably look weird to have some layers end abruptly, but no more so than having a postcard with seven corners peeking through."

You can break AE's 3D space by putting a 2D layer in between two 3D layers. Most people do this by accident, then wonder why 3D doesn't work. If you do it on purpose, you might get the look you're going for.

Simply insert an adjustment layer in between the 3D layers where you want to break proper intersection.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mike ZimbardRe: Anyway to prevent intersecting of layers?
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 4:22:23 pm

I've had this issue before and used animated masks to get rid of the parts that are intersecting. I'm not sure if that's an option for you here, and obviously with a lot of layers it can be tedious, but it is a way of cleaning up these little imperfections between the 3D layers. You can try breaking AEs 3D space with an adjustment layer, but I think that will just give you the feeling of 2 overlapped 3D layers and instead of "cutting something off" which I think is what you're after. Good luck.

- Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]