ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Is it possible to attach trackers to Mesh Warp points

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin BowserIs it possible to attach trackers to Mesh Warp points
by on Sep 20, 2010 at 11:49:20 pm

I've got a patch of something that I'm attaching to a piece of footage, but there are deformations that are taking place that can be taken care of with the Mesh Warp. I was wondering, is it possible through the use of scripts or expressions or otherwise, to attach tracker points to points on the Mesh Warp effect? Nuke has this ability and it is really handy for getting your patches to sit in your shot that much better because of the super subtle deformations and distortions you can add. Anyone have any ideas of how to do this, or where a good place to pose this question would be?

Thanks so much for any help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is it possible to attach trackers to Mesh Warp points
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 5:26:03 pm

I don't know of any scripts that can do that, but the following will. Get ready for some precomps:
  • In the Main Comp, precomp the UN-mesh-warped footage. This is Precomp #1.
  • Add the patch layer to the Main Comp, position it properly, and precomp it with Precomp #1. This is Precomp #2.
  • Add Precomp #1 to the main comp, and delete Precomp #2 from the main comp for now -- you'll use it shortly.
  • Now you use Mesh Warp for the first time -- in the main comp, apply Mesh Warp to Precomp #1, and get everything right.
  • Duplicate Precomp #1: you now have 2 instances of Precomp #1 in the Main Comp.
  • Highlight the upper Precomp #1 layer, and use the Replace Footage command to replace the highlighted layer with Precomp #2. In the Main Comp, you now have Precomp #2 above Precomp #1, and it uses the exact same Mash Warp settings as Precomp #1 below it.

To isolate the patch alone, you may have to either mask the Precomp #2 layer in the main comp, or else open Precomp #2 by itself and turn off the Precomp #1 layer inside it.

This isn't very elegant, but it'll do the trick. I hope someone comes up with something better.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved