ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Best platform for Character Animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark KeelerBest platform for Character Animation
by on Sep 19, 2010 at 4:50:38 am

A quick question on character development. I am working on an animation of a human form that will require complex body movements like walking, stairs, dance movements and so on. What is the best platform? I am comfortable with AE but wondering if I would be beating my head against the wall with control and texturingg? 3DMAX? Cinema4D?

Secondly, when building a complex movement like that described - is the actual movement like a spin, whatever shot I have in mind - created in the 3D environment than imported into AE for compositing etc? I realize AE is only 2.5D, it can do cool things and I've played with the puppet tools, just not sure it will be enough.

Thanks much

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Best platform for Character Animation
by on Sep 19, 2010 at 6:57:57 am

it's pretty easy to decide.
in AE it will never change perspective. Although you can create parts in 3D and use zaxwerks pro animator to create the pivot points.
But now your messing with polygons and nurbs, not a simple 2D cutout. Here's a 16 min. video tutorial about 2D animation with a project file to practice on and decide for yourself.

Also has a kinematics section too.

Return to posts index

Mark KeelerRe: Best platform for Character Animation
by on Sep 19, 2010 at 9:03:17 am

Thank you very much Chris, I went through DuDuf's tutorial and got it to work (yay) - that is sooo cool! I think I'll try using this against some of the shape layer bodies that I created to work on this before venturing to an entirely new platform.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved