ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d Text In Field of Grass

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmie Jackson3d Text In Field of Grass
by on Sep 18, 2010 at 12:54:43 am

I'm looking to do some cool intro sequences involving 3d text in a real video environment. The video I'm going to practice on is something like this:

Mountain Cabin Footage

What I want to do is place the 3d text among the grass, so that it looks like it's a part of the environment and just sort of nestled in that grass as it waves in the wind.

What I'm guessing is that I have to do is mask around the grass and duplicate that. Then I'd arrange the layers so that the grass mask is on top of the text, but that's just my best guess.

Any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 3d Text In Field of Grass
by on Sep 18, 2010 at 3:49:02 pm

Another thing you might want to try is stepping into each color channel, say the green one(might be red or blue, just depends on color information) and setting that as a alpha matte for your text layer. Or try a chromakey effect, sample the grass color and use that as the alpha matte inverted.

It's possible that neither of these work, it really depends on the color information of your footage, but I've used these techniques occasionally and have gotten lucky. Otherwise it's rotoscoping, get some good music and some coffee.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.thinkck.com

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: 3d Text In Field of Grass
by on Sep 18, 2010 at 5:51:18 pm

[Jimmie Jackson] "mask around the grass and duplicate that. Then I'd arrange the layers so that the grass mask is on top of the text"

That's exactly what I'd try first since a loose mask with some feathering will probably work for that particular shot. Might even do that several times, separate all of the grass to foreground and background layers and offset each layer's position so they overlap in different places.

Once you have your text composited where you want it, if you want to get fancy, you could do a slight camera move, but not so much that the perspective makes the movement look obviously fake. Could even do the same with other elements of the shot.

To get even fancier, some birds flying in and out of the frame in a couple seconds could help make the footage look less like a still image and sell the shot ... pretty easy to do with Particular.

By the way, I'd also replace that blown-out sky and color correct the whole shot ... cheap stock has obvious benefits, but common downsides are poor levels, color, etc. so it often requires touch-up to look good.

Return to posts index

Jimmie JacksonRe: 3d Text In Field of Grass
by on Sep 18, 2010 at 6:18:04 pm

Great suggestions, sounds like it's gonna take quite a bit of work! This stock footage I"m using is just for practice, when I do it for real i'll be using my own footage.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: 3d Text In Field of Grass
by on Sep 18, 2010 at 7:33:24 pm

wait a minute, are you going to add text to live video that moves and changes perspective? That's 3 motion tracking for starters. Are you adding a camera move to a still? You can lay down a grid, then instead of moving the grid, move the camera so that the grid lines match up in 2.5D. You can corner pin too in mocha too. I mean, what exactly is your goal? It's more than laying down something unless you know what specific 2D,2.5D or 3d motion you want.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Jimmie JacksonRe: 3d Text In Field of Grass
by on Sep 18, 2010 at 7:35:46 pm

No it'll be a static video shot, no moving at all. I just want the text to appear as if it's actually in the environment (shadows, etc)

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: 3d Text In Field of Grass
by on Sep 18, 2010 at 10:12:58 pm

ah, you can get different looks using transfer modes, screen, add, color dodge, even displacement maps. Freeform and zaxwerks invigorator work the best for using the background as a 3D effect. Boris has built in twisting functions that work in full 3D too.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]