ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating just one word in the middle of a line of text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hal DowdyAnimating just one word in the middle of a line of text
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 2:39:27 am

I've been scratching my head till it bleeds trying to figure out this one. I'd like to apply a second animator to just "roll over" one word in a line of text to highlight it. I understand that I can easily effect all of the characters at once with a range selector, but I would like to sequentially scale up the individual letters and not affect any other word in the line. For example, the whole line of text flies in with a ramp up and then the letters in one word round, or smooth scales up and down sequentially to highlight a sound cue. Is there a way?
thanks
-Hal

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Animating just one word in the middle of a line of text
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 7:18:36 am

One way is to duplicate the text layer, isolate with a mask just the word you want to add extra animation to and play around with it. If you need to animate individual letters you can just have one masked layer per letter.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Animating just one word in the middle of a line of text
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 3:46:10 pm

I don't see why you're having issues if you can create the first Ramp effect to affect the entire line. All you need to do now is create a new Animator group with the Scale property. Set it to affect characters and then animate start and end.

HTH
RoRK

AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Hal DowdyRe: Animating just one word in the middle of a line of text
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 3:53:43 pm

Actually that's what I did to start out with, but the animation is not as smooth as I'd like, and I was looking for a solution with less keyframing(always looking for ways to make quick changes for the client). It would be great if a second animator could be used with another ramp up, but only allowing the offset to affect certain indexed characters.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 17, 2010 at 4:53:30 pm

[Hal Dowdy] "It would be great if a second animator could be used with another ramp up, but only allowing the offset to affect certain indexed characters."

You've actually found part of the answer.

Range Selectors can be used to select OR unselect (word?) characters. To unselect/deselect characters, set their Mode to Substract.

For your needs. The First Animator seems to be working fine. So create a second Animator group with Scale as the Text Animator Property. With this Animator group, comes the default Range Selector.

Use this Range Selector to select the word based on Characters and Index (much easier than percentage in this case). Set its Shape to Ramp Up for buttery smoothness.

Then create two new Range Selectors. These two ranges will unselect/deselect words to the left and to the right of the 'hero' word, respectively. So, one range selector selects words to the left and the other to the right. The trick now is to set their Modes to Subtract.

Now that we've excluded the unwanted characters from the second Animator Group, let's get back to animating the 'hero' word.
Ensure that you have the following properties set up -
Units = Index
Based On = Characters
Mode = Add
Shape = Ramp Up
Ease High = 0
Ease Low = 0
Scale (Text Animator Property - TAP) = 150 (just so that we can see what's happening as we progress)

Set Start and End properties to the first and last character indices for the 'hero' word. Set a keyframe for Offset and set its value to the -(number of characters) for the 'hero' word. That's negative of the number of characters required to spell the hero word.

Move the Timeline Indicator ahead and set Offset's value to + (number of characters) for the hero word.

Now move back to Offset's first keyframe and set a keyframe for Scale (TAP) with a value of 100%. Move ahead in time and change its value to say 150.

RAM Preview and change the second keyframe value for Scale (TAP) and or spread in/out the keyframes in time to suit your needs.

Much longer than I anticipated. But the nuts and bolts are there and you should be able to re-use this as an Animation Preset for future use.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Sep 17, 2010 at 5:06:35 pm

I forgot to mention that you'll need a third keyframe for Scale (TAP). The third keyframe value should be set to 100% so that it scales back down. Use non-linear keyframe type for more smoothness.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Sep 17, 2010 at 8:53:34 pm

Can't wait to try this out. I'm staring at a mountain of edits right now. I'll try it out when I'm done and report back.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 19, 2010 at 2:09:52 am

You are the man! the 2 extra range selectors in subtract mode makes sense. I'm actually getting the exact results I was looking for by switching the shape of the first range selector to smooth, and setting 2 keyframes for scale at the offset beginning and ending keyframe position to 100% and just setting the 150% scale keyframe in the middle of the 2. Thanks a bunch. where do I send the beer.
-Hal

Return to posts index

by on Sep 19, 2010 at 2:20:09 am

Actually it seems I don't need any keyframes for the scale property with smooth shape.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 19, 2010 at 6:20:20 am

I'm glad it's worked out for you. There are lots of options with the Text Tool to achieve the exact look you want. I'll take a rain check for the beer BUT I'm keeping count! ;-)

Cheers
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]