ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

XDCAM EX MXF Files...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric BarkerXDCAM EX MXF Files...
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 11:48:35 pm

Hello, We are upgrading to CS5. We're shooting on XDCAM EX format, and then using the Sony converter to rewrap all files to .MXF. They work great in Premiere, but at least until CS3, they didn't work with AE, and I had to go through the process of outputing everything to QuickTime first. Has AE added MXF support since CS3?

Television Producer
KTVF-11 Fairbanks, Alaska
video.ericbarker.com

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: XDCAM EX MXF Files...
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 11:57:29 pm

Note: After Effects can import Sony XDCAM HD assets if they were recorded to MXF files. After Effects cannot import XDCAM HD assets in IMX format. After Effects can import Sony XDCAM EX assets stored as essence files with the .mp4 filename extension in a BPAV directory. For information about the XDCAM format, see this PDF document on the Sony website.

From CS5 Support here-

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSB108BC99A69B-46c4-86D3-...

-Andy George
Senior Editor
http://www.chiselindustries.com

Return to posts index

Eric BarkerRe: XDCAM EX MXF Files...
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 12:51:06 am

That doesn't answer my question. Using the BPAV folder heirarchy is not an option for us because of issues I do not wish to get into at this time. Since XDCAM HD can be used in .mxf, can XDCAM EX? That is all I wish to know. We use XDCAM EX with .mxf files.

Television Producer
video.ericbarker.com

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: XDCAM EX MXF Files...
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 3:40:31 am

you'll be better off converting the footage to a codec that uses only intraframe compression for you after effects work.

if you don't have the drive space for lossless mov, then quicktime photojpeg is very good. you could also try avid's dnxhd, which avid offers for free and will work with any quicktime application and has about very similar specs to apple's prores.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Eric BarkerRe: XDCAM EX MXF Files...
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 7:08:31 pm

What's different about MXF files? I really don't know much about them, myself. We're having to use them out of neccessity. See, we shoot on XDCAM EX cameras, which leave behind this horribly complicated BPAV file system... impossible to get Windows to archive and playback correctly. So I'm rewrapping everything to MXF, which gives me individual files I can negotiate. Of course, I'd rather work with MOV or AVI (what we used to work with in SD), but that would require re-encoding, which takes forever. Premiere has no problem with MXF. I typically will build sequences in premiere, and then copy/paste them into AE to do touch-up work, keying, or whatever. Back when using AVIs, it was a really simple, fast process. Now I have to take each clip I use, re-encode it to MOV (usually using the animation codec). Yesterday, it took me 45 minutes. That's 45 minutes I never had to waste before. I was hoping that with CS5, I could finally just import the MXF files the way I used to do with AVI, but I guess I'm out of luck?

Television Producer
video.ericbarker.com

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: XDCAM EX MXF Files...
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 10:17:49 pm

ae can use some types of mxf... i know it can import/export dvcprohd encoded mxf, i have used that back with cs3. it does sound like cs4-5 will import xdcam hd encoded mxf (as stated earlier)... i assume that you've tried the xdcam ex files and had some difficulty.

however, even if it did import xdcam ex, that kind of codec is what will often cause problems in ae... ae will process them more slowly, crash more often and often produce unexpected things in the renders.

if the conversion to another codec is too time consuming, how about capture from the camera to premiere using a different codec, one that uses only intraframe compression like dnxhd or even dvcprohd. they are higher bandwidth, but if your drives can handle it, it should work more like your previous workflow.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]