ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Time overlapping animated text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Parker
Time overlapping animated text
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:02:10 pm

I have a text layer setup with a Range Selector animation that causes each character to rotate and fade into position individually. I kept thinking that the animation wasn't quite as fluid as I wanted it to be and then I realized that each character was waiting on the previous character before its animation started. What I would like is for the animations to overlap a little. For instance, if I have word, "ABCD," as A is halfway through its rotation, B starts to rotate into position.

I'm almost afraid that this isn't even possible with the selector seeing as its basing the animation on a percentage of the letters, as there is never a percentage that includes multiple characters...

Thoughts or suggestions?

Return to posts index

Seth Parker
Re: Time overlapping animated text
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:25:17 pm

I ended up changing shape of the Selector to Ramp Up and after adjusting some keyframes that did the trick. I would've liked to adjust the timing a bit more, but this animation looks smooth enough.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 17, 2010 at 2:35:32 am

The Ramps do a nice job. When using the Ramps, it's a good idea to animate the Range Selector's Offset parameter instead of animating the Start and/or End parameters.

Cheers
RoRK

AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Seth Parker
on Sep 17, 2010 at 4:51:20 pm

The problem I'm noticing just using Offset is that all the letters rotate in at the same time, rather than sequentially.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 17, 2010 at 5:15:11 pm

It's a matter of taste and preference and what's required for the job on hand.

With Ramp Up or Ramp Down, I normally set up as such -
Start = 0
End = n (where n is the total number of characters or percentage)
Offset = requires keyframing

The first Offset keyframe value is the negative of n (as above). The second keyframe value for Offset will be n.

The set Ease Low to 100% for a nice Ease In effect. And also try Ease High at -100%. Switching on Randomize Order sometimes makes things look nices. Add some Motion Blur for extra garnishing.

HTH
RoRK

AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]