ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting RED Projects from After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew King
Exporting RED Projects from After Effects
on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:13:38 pm

I just finished compositing shots together in After Effects CS4 that was shot on the RED. I composited the shot using the medium RED proxy files and I re-linked it to the full RED proxy files for export so when I bring it back into FCP it will match what we are working with. We're obviously not working with Full proxies in FCP but I want to make sure I have the full proxy version standing by when for when we do the final color touches and exportation so it matches with the rest of the footage.

My problem is that as I'm trying to render out the final product (after everything is re-linked), it starts to render but then stops after a few seconds and just says 'failed' and doesn't give me an error. I've tried different export settings and I still get the same problem.

I've tried exporting with the medium RED proxy files and it works fine, but it won't match when we reconnect the transcoded files in FCP to the Full RED proxy files later on.

Is there a way to get it to work? Or is there something that can be suggested to help fix this problem? I'm willing to even re-transcode the RED files to whatever else will work, but as long as I still have the full quality of the RED file.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Exporting RED Projects from After Effects
on Sep 16, 2010 at 7:54:20 pm

[Matthew King] "My problem is that as I'm trying to render out the final product (after everything is re-linked), it starts to render but then stops after a few seconds and just says 'failed' and doesn't give me an error. I've tried different export settings and I still get the same problem."

Are you using the render queue? What render settings and output module are you using?

What about your system? OS, version of AE, processors, and amount of RAM? Have you tried disabling OpenGL and multiprocessing?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andy George
on Sep 16, 2010 at 7:54:32 pm

You have the most recent (9.02) update? There were some RED fixes in that particular one.

-Andy George
Senior Editor
http://www.chiselindustries.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 16, 2010 at 8:45:35 pm

If you haven't got enough RAM on your workstation AE may not be able to deal with the full resolution RED footage. I have in the past converted RED to TGA sequences and worked with that, but with the new RED workflows you should be able to use the RED footage without any conversion.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Matthew King
on Sep 17, 2010 at 4:59:59 pm

I'm running AE CS4 on MAC OS X 10.5.8 laptop with 4GB of RAM. I got the update for AE CS4 and it helped it bit. The render lasted a bit longer then before.

I'm using the render queue to export. I've tried exporting in .mov with animation, REDCODE, and Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) and all of them fail with the full resolution. But when I try with the medium resolution it works just fine.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 17, 2010 at 5:38:15 pm

[Matthew King] "I'm running AE CS4 on MAC OS X 10.5.8 laptop with 4GB of RAM."

That's not a lot of RAM for After Effects. If you have multiprocessing turned on, you should absolutely disable it.

You might consider rendering to an image sequence -- if an image sequence render fails, you can simply start it again at the next frame, continuing right where you left off.

As a last resort -- there's a secret menu in the preferences where you can disable the layer cache and set AE to purge frames during render. Hold down the Shift key, and keep it down. Click After Effects > Preferences > General. Continue to hold the Shift key, and click on the list of preferences. You should see a "Secret" item where you can make these changes.

If your renders were working perfectly, you would see a big performance hit for mucking with these settings; however, since they are not, it may help. Don't forget to reset them for your next project.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Matthew King
on Oct 28, 2010 at 2:12:18 pm

I meant to update this sooner but I fixed the problem. I went to another computer that had After Effects CS5 and it exported no problem. I guess my computer and After Effects CS4 just couldn't handle the exported video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]