ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Visual Glitch when rendering.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Heiser
Visual Glitch when rendering.
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:14:36 am

I have a problem rendering out a final AVI for my project.
Here's the video:

The problem starts at 1:08, it is a visual glitch involving jumping frames, and jumping back. I've rendered it several times, with different forums and settings, and this is the best I can get it to.
It is an Adobe Premiere Pro project that I imported into after effects. I am using Windows 7.
Please help! I can give more information if possible, but it should be a simple fix, I think others had this problem as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sten4sw

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Visual Glitch when rendering.
on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:49:13 am

hard to say, either the original footage is bad or there's a frame rate change from premiere to ae either with wrong pulldown cadence or progressive way off.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:05:07 pm

I've seen similar issues in the past in After Effects, esp. with "multiprocessing rendering turned on". Exactly why it happens I don't know but I think it was related to MP rendering as well as certain formats.

Try converting all your media to an AE-friendly codec such as QuickTime Animation or similar (not sure what AE prefers these days tbh but Animation as always worked well). You could also try rendering OUT in different formats such as an image sequence of some sort (TIFF for example) and see if that helps. If you have some kind of effects happening try turning them, motion blur and motion blending off and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck! :)

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Steven Heiser
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:37:01 pm

Is there some way for me to do this without starting over? Like converting while keeping everything in place?
I am using CS4 fully upgraded, and that really shouldn't cause this problem. I just don't see how a codec error with one of most advanced and compatible editin programs on the market can have an error with a few frames while the rest of the video is consistently fine. Especially when Sony Vegas downtown have any problems like this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2010 at 6:05:22 pm

[Steven Heiser] "Is there some way for me to do this without starting over? Like converting while keeping everything in place?"

Convert the video in question, and use AE's Replace Footage command.

[Steven Heiser] "I just don't see how a codec error with one of most advanced and compatible editing programs on the market can have an error with a few frames while the rest of the video is consistently fine."

Neither did anyone else... but it's what drove people nuts when working in earlier versions of After Effects, like yours. It's one of the things that seems to have been solved in AE 10.

I have heard of absolutely NO problems in AE 10 with temporally-compressed / interframe compressed / long-gop footage... take your pick what to call it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steven Heiser
on Sep 18, 2010 at 6:03:37 pm

AE 10? Like CS5? So basically, get AE CS5, import my project and problem solved?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:18:13 pm

You don't say which version of AE you're running, but if it is NOT AE 10 (aka CS5), I'm going to bet your footage is causing the problem. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]