ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

possible to key through a rainy window?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason McKee
possible to key through a rainy window?
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:13:59 am

i am about to start a shoot that requires a lot of interior driving shots with rain hitting the windows. the actors will be in the foreground. the entire shoot will be done on a stage with a green screen outside the windows. would it be better to leave the car dry and add elements of rain hitting the glass (sounds tough) or just have a sprinkler on the car continuously wetting the car down. i'd rather have the car wet. i just need to know that it will look good using keylight in after effects. im good with keylight ive just never keyed through moving water. thanks in advance.
-jm

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
Re: possible to key through a rainy window?
on Sep 16, 2010 at 4:30:05 am

yes you can key through water... but to tell you it would work right without being there on set.. impossible... that's why people hire VFX supervisors... such as myself ;)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 16, 2010 at 6:50:11 am

Shoot without water and with water to be safe. If your camera is locked, shoot the same angle without actors and just the "rain" and then shoot the actors without rain. This way you will have a lot more control over the shot in compositing.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2010 at 2:37:30 pm

I, for one, don't know if you can do what you want. I kind of doubt it. To remove that doubt, I would have run a test.

My concern: if you key out the rain drops, they disappear, right? So you won't get the tiny refractions that really sell the shot as real, and don't scream, "Effects Shot!"

So what you're REALLY asking is, "How can I place raindrops on a car windshield in post?".... and I don't have a good answer to that one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 16, 2010 at 6:13:49 pm

Raindrop tutorial here.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]