ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

My first assignment! What settings to use?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sal van Dijk
My first assignment! What settings to use?
on Sep 15, 2010 at 3:15:35 pm

Today I've recieved my first assignment. It's a digital invitation to an event that will be distributed by means of a dvd. I'm already full of ideas but before I start my final project file I want to know what settings I should use. What must I do to make the dvd work well on both dvd-players and computers? Interlaced/progressive? what size?

Thanks,

SvD

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: My first assignment! What settings to use?
on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:56:11 pm

[Sal van Dijk] "What must I do to make the dvd work well on both dvd-players and computers? Interlaced/progressive? what size? "

That depends on whether you're sending the DVD to PAL countries, NTSC countries, or both. Answer that for us, please.

Progressive will be best for computers and TV sets. Render your work out of AE in a lossless codec, and use a compression application to convert the file to MPEG2 for DVD authoring. AE doesn't compress to MPEG2 very well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sal van Dijk
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:44:59 pm

Thank you,

As for the questions:
It'll be distributed in PAL countries. I use Encore CS4 to create the DVD. What kind of lossless codec would you recommend? How many pixels should I give it? 480p?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:48:51 pm

[Sal van Dijk] "What kind of lossless codec would you recommend?"

I'm a Mac guy, so I like either Quicktime's Animation or PNG codecs.

[Sal van Dijk] " How many pixels should I give it? 480p?"

Simply use the PAL DV comp preset in AE. It's in the proper resolution, frame rate and pixel aspect ratio for PAL DVD's.

Get to know the pixel aspect ratio compensation switch at the bottom of the comp window. Toggled on, you see things in the proper 4x3 screen aspect ratio, but text looks jagged. Toggled off, you see things a little wider than normal, but text looks smooth. Don't worry about the jaggies: everything renders nice and smooth.

I just remembered: if 16x9 is your intended screen aspect ratio, use the PAL DV Widescreen comp preset.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sal van Dijk
on Sep 16, 2010 at 6:32:01 pm

Thank you!

This was reall helpfull

Greetings,

SvD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]