ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Finalising my films

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina BjerFinalising my films
by on Sep 15, 2010 at 9:43:04 am

Hi, I'm trying to finalise my film but have problems doing so. I have got good tips from Dave, but still have some worries, so if anyone could help I would be very, very happy and greateful! :)

For rendering I go to Add to Render Que. In the Render Settings dialogue box i leave it as it is. (the size is 1440 x 1080).

In the Output Module settings dialogue box:

Based on Lossless

Video for Windows är pre-chosen, so I change this to Quick Time.

Channels RGB

Color: Premultiplied

The Stretch dialogue box is greyed out, and the width and height is 1440 x 1080. The little box here saying Lock Aspect Ratio to 4:3 is ticked already. Why? Sould untick it?

There is also the dropdown menu where I can chose to stretch the 1440 x 1080 video to Custom or HDV 1080 25 or DVCPRO HD 720 23,976... I don’t want to stretch the format, shall I leave this unchecked?

Audio 48 kHz.

I tried to export like this to see if it worked, and turned out to be 16:9, but it crashed...

I am still on my PC with HD video.

/Nina

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Finalising my films
by on Sep 15, 2010 at 3:33:33 pm

Sorry, but no one can give you an authoritative answer. it would APPEAR that you're asking a simple question, but there are too many things left unanswered.

Why?

Because we don't know how your rendered AE project will be used NEXT. We don't know what kind of editing application will use your animations. We don't know if an editing application will even be part of your workflow.

We don't know what kind of a computer you have. We don't know your operating system, your processors and cores, your storage capacity, the amount of memory on your machine, the codec(s) of the footage you're using, the codec to which you're currently rendering, the version of AE you run... and these are all important factors in giving you the right answer.

You want one answer. We see that you need more than one answer, and we can't give them to you until we know more. And who knows? We may even have more questions for you after you answer the ones above.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nina BjerRe: Finalising my films
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 8:42:02 am

Hi, Dave, Yes I understand that it is not easy to give a simple answer. I'm very greateful that you still try to help me! I have tried to answer the questions below, but maybe I have misunderstood something and not given a good answer...

Because we don't know how your rendered AE project will be used NEXT.
- I want to do the this with the file:
* make a playable DVD using Encore
* make a file for others to include in festivals and so on
* make a file for export to Beta SP tape for festival use

We don't know what kind of editing application will use your animations.
- I only use After Effects for animating (or am I misunderstanding your question?)

We don't know if an editing application will even be part of your workflow.
- I capture in Pinnacle Studio (because i have to since my avchd format is not accepted by SC3)) and then edit in Premiere and Afre Effects CS3, and then I use Adobe Encore CS3, if/when I put the file on DVD.

We don't know what kind of a computer you have.
- A PC, HP Pavillion laptop dv 9686

We don't know your operating system
- Windows Vista Home Premium (32 I think?)

your processors and cores
- Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2,20 GHz

your storage capacity
- two internal hard drives 142 GB + 149 GB

the amount of memory on your machine
- RAM memory, 4 GB

the codec(s) of the footage you're using,
avchd hd footage, when it leavs Studio and comes to Premiere or AE it is Windows media file (HDV 1080/50i 1440x1080 or HDV 1080/50i 1920x1080).

the codec to which you're currently rendering,
- Quictime, Animation

the version of AE you run
- After Effects CS3

Thanks for any help!
Nina

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Finalising my films
by on Sep 20, 2010 at 5:50:21 pm

[Nina Bjer] "- I want to do the this with the file:
* make a playable DVD using Encore
* make a file for others to include in festivals and so on
* make a file for export to Beta SP tape for festival use"

I don't think it's any different in PAL countries: Beta SP records a 4x3 image, not a widescreen 16x9 image.

While you can make a 16x9 DVD, you can't make a 16x9 Beta SP tape without knowing FOR CERTAIN that festivals have the specialized equipment needed to turn an anamorphic Beta SP image into a widescreen image.

You would then have to make a decision for Beta SP: Letterbox, which creates black at the top & bottom of the 16x9 image, or Center punch, which cuts off the sides of the 16x9 image.

[Nina Bjer] "- two internal hard drives 142 GB + 149 GB"

You may want to get a bigger external drive. They're not expensive. You're flirting with disaster by using either of your current drives.

[Nina Bjer] "- RAM memory, 4 GB"

You can't use multiprocessing in AE. If you are, turn it off and LEAVE IT OFF. You may think 4GB is a lot, but AE 9 can use up to 4GB Per Core on your machine... and you can't put any more memory into it with your current operating system.

[Nina Bjer] "when it leavs Studio and comes to Premiere or AE it is Windows media file (HDV 1080/50i 1440x1080 or HDV 1080/50i 1920x1080)"

Ugh. Windows Media can be very lossy except at highest quality. If you aren't using the highest-quality Windows Media settings, the quality of your image will suffer.

[Nina Bjer] "- Quictime, Animation"

That's good. Quicktime's PNG codec (not a PNG sequence -- there's a difference) is also lossless, and results in smaller file sizes in most cases.

Finally: laptops really haven't progressed to the point where it's wise to do a lot of long-length, high-definition video work on them. Desktop machines still are the best.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nina BjerRe: Finalising my films
by on Sep 20, 2010 at 4:21:53 pm

Hi Dave, I have tried to list the info you asked for to be able to possibly help me. I would be very greateful if you could have a look! Thanks so much!
Nina

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]