ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

rain FX or rain ground splash more like..ish

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Heathcoterain FX or rain ground splash more like..ish
by on Sep 15, 2010 at 12:51:19 am

Am getting bit of a break working on a music vid for a director friend, he has requested heavy rain in the background of a shot. Have managed to get a heavy downpour in after FX going and quite pleased with it but am trying to add that little bit extra by adding a rain spash on the ground where it hits tho am not entirely sure what the best way to go would be. i could get some stock footage with an alpha channel, tho i think that might look odd unless i can get something that exactly matches the scene where the rain falls. Anyone know a good tutorial or process i could use to get the effect?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: rain FX or rain ground splash more like..ish
by on Sep 15, 2010 at 7:16:28 am

This tutorial may help:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: rain FX or rain ground splash more like..ish
by on Sep 15, 2010 at 1:30:48 pm

If it's a heavy downpour, I don't think anybody's going to be able to notice if a splash isn't coming from exactly where a raindrop fell. I would think a particle system could get you splashes, but if you have workable stock footage, I would go that route.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: rain FX or rain ground splash more like..ish
by on Sep 15, 2010 at 3:05:04 pm

if you are using particular for your rain, then you can have splashes occur when the drops hit the 'bounce' plane...

you'd need to set up a 3d layer as a floor layer, then in the particular physics settings set the model to 'bounce', select the 'floor' layer as the floor and set collision event to kill.

in the aux settings, set the emit to at collision event then set the various aux particle settings to fit what you are looking for -- probably small particles with a little velocity, similar color as your rain particles, etc...

you can even go further by using duplicate particular layers. you can create custom 'splashes' or pond ripples or something like that, define that animation as the custom particle in a duplicate particular, but set the opacity of the that particle to 0, and set the aux particle to same as original. the idea is that now when the particle hit the bounce plane, it will play the animation of the splash or pond ripple etc... since the systems are duplicates, the particles will match up, so when a rain drop hits, it will then trigger the splash/ripple at the exact location...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Nicholas HeathcoteRe: rain FX or rain ground splash more like..ish
by on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:59:48 pm

sounds like a good plan, might be able to combine the stock footage with the closer areas of shot and try the bounce a little further away and see what works and looks good!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved