ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

4k file type recommendations

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Paynter
4k file type recommendations
on Sep 14, 2010 at 6:07:10 pm

I have to request some 4k from a movie studio. They have asked what format I want. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this in CS4 and could recommend the best to work with. PNG sequence, QT uncompressed, Animation? This is not RED Footage and I've never used 4k before. Not sure what AE can handle.

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
Re: 4k file type recommendations
on Sep 14, 2010 at 6:22:53 pm

First you need to know if you are working in 32 bit? 16 bit? Log or Linear color space?

Most likely dpx sequences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Picture_Exchange

Keep in mind you will need to add an adjustment layer on top of your footage with the cineon converter effect added to see the color space properly.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 15, 2010 at 1:05:43 am

[Robert Paynter] "I have to request some 4k from a movie studio. They have asked what format I want. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this in CS4 and could recommend the best to work with. PNG sequence, QT uncompressed, Animation? This is not RED Footage and I've never used 4k before. Not sure what AE can handle."

AE could handle any of these formats, and supports comps up to 30,000 x 30,000 pixels in size. I agree with Mr. Fuller that Cineon/DPX is probably your best bet.

I'd add one other comment -- 4K frames are big! If you work in 32bpc, a single 4K frame will require just under 200 MB of RAM.

You didn't mention how much RAM you have, but unless you need some 32-bit only plugins for the project, this might be a good time to consider maxing out your RAM and upgrading to CS5.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Sep 16, 2010 at 1:49:01 pm

I'd check with the people you return your project too what they prefer you work in. I'd opt for DPX, TIFF or OpenEXR. I'd also as the above poster mentions highly recommend you going to AE CS5 - it's a ton better at handling massive comp's compared to CS4. 4K will mean RAM is an issue even in CS5 so I'd max that out. Just working in 2K stresses my setup out (16GB RAM / CS5).

Last but not least - do a trial round trip before you start working so you don't run into format issues (i.e. gamma or color shifts). You want to sort that out before you've done X days or weeks of work.

Good luck!

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Robert Paynter
on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:42:19 pm

Ended up using DPX sequence. Works great! Thanks for everyones input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]