ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendered Video Has Low FPS.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew ChinRendered Video Has Low FPS.
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 11:28:14 pm

First off I'm sorry if this issue has been brought up before, I searched render problems and came up with hundreds of threads, all name: AE Rendering Issues, and didn't have the time to look through all of this.

I have been having this problem for a while now. When I render a video into .avi or .wmv, the only formats I use right now, the final result is a video that has an FPS that varies from about 1 fps to perfectly normal(23.976) and is unwatchable. I think it might have something to do with the media player, but I have played 1920x1080 videos before and nothing has happened. I will open the video file, the progress bar at the bottom of the media player will move in real time and not lag( in windows media player, in VLC it lags), and it will hit the end, but the video will continue to play until it also ends.

Windows XP x64
2.8 Ghz Dual Core
5 GB RAM(AE only uses 4 though), I have more RAM, but giving my motherboard 6 gb gives me some problems
1920x1080 resolution
23.976 composition frame rate

Extra Notes:
-Render times for an 8 second clip take an hour+
-The FPS of the video varies from different media players( I think the 23.976 fps might be messing with them)
-The lag is the worst on the more graphic intensive things like 3D and particles, but sometimes appears in simple typography animations
-The video contains a fractal noise background, a 2 second shatter effect on text, some 3D camera work, Particular, ramps, lights, stuff you will find in a typical AE composition(solids, text, adjustment layers, glow effects, etc) and opacity, position, rotation,etc animations. There is no footage though.

I have been editing for 3 years and know my way around AE fairly well, but I am only 14, and cannot purchase more RAM, software, etc so I'm pretty much limited to things I can do in the program or with things I already have in my computer.

Any help on how I can make my videos render in the correct fps is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Rendered Video Has Low FPS.
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 11:42:29 pm

Your video I would imagine is uncompressed and your hard drive is not fast enough to play the uncompressed video at 1920X1080... you would need to be running a RAID-5 or something like that to get smooth playback with uncompressed HD.

Just because it is playing back poorly doesn't mean the video is messed up.. you just don't have the hard drive speed... hope that makes sense.

Compress your video once rendered using one of the many compression tools available.

Also... if you plan on getting into post production... get used to using Quicktime movies... I have been a VFX artist for 10 years.. and I can assure you the industry loves this format. I have never worked with an AVI or WMV in 10 years.

Even if thats what is supplied by the client... I convert all footage to QT before I get started.

Return to posts index

Andrew ChinRe: Rendered Video Has Low FPS.
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 11:47:25 pm

It is uncompressed, I have planned on getting a 2nd HDD and RAIDing them for a while , but never went through with it. I literally have a stack on...5 HDDs on my desk right now, all but 2( one is 32 gb another is ANCIENT) are broken. Currently using a 7200 RPM Caviar. While your answer makes sense, I posted a video a while back on YouTube and it turned out to have the same problem when viewed online.

Thanks for the advice on the use of QT though, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks again for the reply

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Rendered Video Has Low FPS.
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 12:02:35 am

Just remember... there are different kinds of Raid setups. Raid 5,6,0, JBOD etc...

For uncompressed you would use Raid-5 I believe... read online about the differences... some allow you to have a drive fail and recover... others don't and just allow for speed.. but if you lose a drive you are screwed...

If it is uncompressed HD your regular internal hard drive will never play it back correctly.... I can promise you that.

Return to posts index

Andrew ChinRe: Rendered Video Has Low FPS.
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 12:08:25 am

Yea I only know a bit about RAID, but I was planning for RAID 5. Thanks again for the advice,Ill try compressing the video next time, I'm assuming H.264 is the way to go? I used h264 before, but never have tried it in AE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved