ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Won't continuously rasterize vector layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John DeanWon't continuously rasterize vector layer
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 11:18:30 pm

I built a map in AE using line art built in illustrator. I imported the line art into photoshop as a smart object, added some other layers, then imported the photoshop file into AE as a composition (photoshop comp). I made all of the layers 3D. In my main comp, I turned on "rasterizing" for the photoshop comp, but when I render the animation, the line art (smart object layer) looks pixelated. I've done this many times before, but the line art always stayed smooth, no matter how close I zoomed into it with the camera.
What did I do wrong? Did I mistakenly turn something on or off that's making this happen?
Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Won't continuously rasterize vector layer
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 3:20:22 pm

Continuous rasterization only works on vector files. Photoshop files, regardless of whether they contain smart object layers, do not have this capability. I would suggest rebuilding the file in illustrator as a vector file. But keep in mind that just because you opened a photoshop file in illustrator, doesn't mean it is now a vector file. It's still just pixels. Anything that you want to be vector in After Effects must be created in Illustrator. So you can take your original vector map graphic and add it to the photoshop file you opened in illustrator or add the photoshop layers to the map graphic file. Either way, you must end up with an illustrator file.

Return to posts index

John DeanRe: Won't continuously rasterize vector layer
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 3:40:54 pm

Thank you Erik, I understand this now. The line art (vector) file originated in AI. I imported it into PS as a Smart Object which I thought was supposed to keep it's original attributes. I see now that this is not the case, especially when importing it from PS into AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved