ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

smooth motion large scrolling tile

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Ramshawsmooth motion large scrolling tile
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:44:42 am

I am having trouble getting smooth animation of a large scrolling tile. I am using a spd expression of a number divisible by my frame rate (I think..) I am trying to eliminate jumpiness and flickering.

My project is 1920x720. I am trying to move a tile that is 12800x1080 through the frame. I have found an expression :

spd =-30.0; //scroll speed (pixels per second)

[width,height]/2 + [time*spd,0]

that I don't really understand, but it seems to work. I changed the speed to -30 even though I need it much faster, around 330, because I thought maybe I could render the scrolling tile super slow and then speed it up again? I'm close to wits end so I was just trying different things, but I can't seem to get my tile to render at full res for some reason? I have timewarp enabled with motion blur.

This workflow seems like a waste of time and computer resources. Does anyone have a better workflow or way to solve my issue? (I need very smooth and relatively fast scrolling)

Thank you so much, this has been on my plate for several months and I haven't been able to find an answer online.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: smooth motion large scrolling tile
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 7:25:03 am

For smooth motion render out interlaced, with motion blur on. I do not think you need any expressions for that, just a couple of keyframes should do. If your final output must be progressive, then take the interlaced uncompressed render and encode to whatever compressed format you need de-interlacing. Usually this ensures smooth motion.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved