ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting Comp to Flash Animation (and Keeping the File Size Small)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stewart Goldstein
Exporting Comp to Flash Animation (and Keeping the File Size Small)
on Sep 12, 2010 at 6:54:05 am

I have an animation I have made in AE which isn't terribly complicated.

Maybe 450 X 250, mostly blank background. The artwork was done in Illustrator. There are about a dozen layers, all AI artwork, and the animation is about two seconds.

When I export the animation as an SWF file, the file size is 1.2MB. What do I need to do to make the file size a lot smaller?

I am not used to making animations for Flash. My AE animations are usually meant for video applications, but someone decided they want this animation to go on their web site instead.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Exporting Comp to Flash Animation (and Keeping the File Size Small)
on Sep 12, 2010 at 7:30:33 am

IF you have CS5 you're in luck- you can actually export your AE animation as a Flash project (xlf) and if you do not use any effects that Flash can't handle (in which case the animation will be rasterized) all layers will be exported as vector layers.
If you do not have CS5, compress as .flv movie using Adobe Media Encoder and bring in to Flash- it will be smaller.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Stewart Goldstein
on Sep 12, 2010 at 8:23:34 pm

I will try that.

The animation doesn't have any effects in it; it is just a playback of the AI images that I put into the animation sequence.

But...

...I don't know if this is important, but when I try to render the animation as an SWF with "Ignore" instead of "Rasterize," many parts of the AI files are missing. Most of them, really.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 12, 2010 at 9:36:20 pm

If you choose to ignore then whatever animations/effects Flash can't do like in AE will be missing. It can be something as simple as motion blur. Render out flv and you will get a smaller size for sure. If you export from CS5 as a flash project then make sure you choose to rasterize and not to ignore.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]