ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Changing the Color of a White Truck in post

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon BothunChanging the Color of a White Truck in post
by on Sep 11, 2010 at 3:48:39 am

Hello All!,

I have an issue and would love to get some feedback from pro special effects artists. A quick background on the project: A race truck speeds around a race course and at the end a regular truck speeds around a corner and replaces the race truck on the track.

The problem, as stated in the subject, is that the truck that was used in our commercial is white, and looks too much like the race truck that was used earlier in the show. The question is how hard/easy is it to change the color of the white truck to another color, say red or blue? About how much time would it take?

Any thoughts would be great!

Jonathan Bothun
Parthe, Inc.
Superior, Wi

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Changing the Color of a White Truck in post
by on Sep 11, 2010 at 5:45:46 am

some people would say you'll need to roto with mocha then set the transfer mode to screen to let the highlights and reflections through.
that's about 20 min for every 10 sec of footage depending on how fast you click your mouse.

But if the footage isn't washed out and the car isn't pure white, you can crank up the saturation channel in color finesse and using a garbage matte, you'll be able to do a simple secondary color correction in color finesse in an adjustment layer set as screen. Also, if that doesn't work, you can try my highlight blow out fixer that restores missing highlights and its saturation protect mode can act as a stenciled white track matte which greatly decreases roto time in mocha.

The only true guarantee is how well the video was shot.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Changing the Color of a White Truck in post
by on Sep 11, 2010 at 9:04:28 am

I agree with what Chris said- I also think that providing us with a few stills or a short clip would help. The solution is most times based on your source material.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved