ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

text pixelates when zoomed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gene Limbrick
text pixelates when zoomed
on Sep 10, 2010 at 4:23:07 pm

Im using mocha to track a wall, and i'm putting text on the wall. there's a dolly move in towards the wall and past it.

in after effects i've created a text layer, pre-comped it and then applied the track data from mocha.

it works fine until it gets close, then the text pixelates.

I've tried making a new comp at twice the size and applying the tracking data to that, but it just disappears.

any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: text pixelates when zoomed
on Sep 10, 2010 at 4:53:06 pm

You probably have a good reason for precomping the text layer, I guess. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to in a case like this, but that's just me.

So let's assume you HAVE to precomp. Or more accurately, nest certain layers in their own comp.

Start over from scratch with these layers. DO NOT precomp them. Create a new comp -- just a simple 2D comp -- where you can place these layers, and then scale them up to the point where you can be confident you won't see any aliasing. That may be 200%, it may be 300%, only you know. Play with the comp dimensions until is just barely contains the layers.

Now nest that comp into your main comp and use it like a piece of footage. See what happens.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gene Limbrick
on Sep 10, 2010 at 4:59:00 pm

I have to pre-comp as when you make a text layer it seems to inherit the current comp size as a "frame"

When it gets stretched and moved by the tracking data part of the text falls out of the frame and disappears.

I think i've tried what you said with making a seperate comp from scratch in a larger size, filling it with text and then putting that comp into the composition. when i apply the tracking data to this text comp it disappears...

let me know if i've misunderstood..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 10, 2010 at 5:04:53 pm

[Gene Limbrick] "I have to pre-comp as when you make a text layer it seems to inherit the current comp size as a "frame""

I don't know if that's a good enough reason to make a precomp. What happens if you simply apply the Mocha data to the text layer itself in the main comp?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gene Limbrick
on Sep 10, 2010 at 5:11:46 pm

"When it gets stretched and moved by the tracking data part of the text falls out of the frame and disappears."

it seems to track very strangely and then the edges disappear after a certain invisible line...

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Sep 10, 2010 at 4:54:08 pm

What just disappears?

as far as I remember, just go into your text composition, double it's resolution, and at your main comp, scale the text comp to 50%. DON'T collapse it's transformations.

Apply the corner pin data first, then adjust the resolution, so things get updated.

Return to posts index

Gene Limbrick
on Sep 10, 2010 at 5:08:33 pm

doubling the resolution within the text comp halves the size of the text inside the text comp, but when i go back to the main comp it's the same size as before, except the tracking is slightly off...

this doesnt make sense...

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Kaplan
on Sep 10, 2010 at 5:39:54 pm

[Gene Limbrick] "doubling the resolution within the text comp halves the size of the text inside the text comp"

That's b/c all you did was double the size of your composition without doubling the size of your text in that composition. Once you make that text bigger - you are going to have to resize it accordingly in your main comp.

I don't believe that you needed to pre-comp the text layer though. You could've applied the tracking data to the text layer or a parent null.

Jeff Kaplan
Point 360 WEST
Animation & VFX Department
http://www.point360west.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]