ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Avi video errors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bailey KalestiAvi video errors
by on Sep 9, 2010 at 9:36:29 pm

Hello,
I'm working with uncompressed avi files in AE. I'm having a very frustrating issue, and I want to see if there was any kind of setting within AE that I could tweak to get my videos to look correct.

The videos look fine sometimes, but usually the video looks terrible. It appears that the frames look fine as long as there is little movement in the scene, but once the scene changes, the video frame freezes (almost as if it wasn't refreshing), then as the scene changes the video "wipes" itself clean again, and then the video returns to normal.

Windows Media player and VLC both view the videos completely perfectly, however, AE does not!

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Avi video errors
by on Sep 9, 2010 at 10:31:46 pm

If you see this on a viewer after you've rendered your AE project, I wouldn't sweat it: it's probably that the hard drive can't keep up with the high bit rate of a high-quality file, which is precisely what you should be making in AE.

If, on the other hand, you seeit in AE during a RAM Previes, you've got problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bailey KalestiRe: Avi video errors
by on Sep 9, 2010 at 10:36:36 pm

Well, I'm seeing it in the RAM preview. Any thoughts on the what I can do/what the problem is?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Avi video errors
by on Sep 10, 2010 at 1:00:48 am

You say you'e working with uncompressed avi's. Are you importing these avi's or rendering uncompressed avi's?

While we're at it, what version of AE are you running, and how much RAM do you have on your machine?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bailey KalestiRe: Avi video errors
by on Sep 10, 2010 at 1:06:00 am

I'm importing uncompressed avi's. I'm also rendering out uncompressed avi's after my edits.

I'm using CS4. I've tried out my project on two different machines (CS4 on both), and I get the errors on both. Here are the RAM's for each computer: 2.98GB and 3.00GB.

It's also worth noting that I've done a lot of editing with a plethora of video types/containers (including uncompressed avi's), and I've never had this issue before.

Thanks for the replies! :)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Avi video errors
by on Sep 10, 2010 at 2:05:59 am

[Bailey Kalesti] "I'm importing uncompressed avi's. I'm also rendering out uncompressed avi's after my edits."

"Uncompressed" is a pretty loose term. RGB, YUV, 422, 444, 8-bit, 10-bit, packed, planar, run-length encoded...

What flavor of uncompressed are you using? What uncompressed codecs do you have installed on your computer?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]